GRP Roof - please help! Cowboy Builder

Angelx12

Hi, looking for some advice please as I’m unhappy with the work my builder has done!

He quoted £2000 for a GRP roof, that covered around 40m2. (His original quote thought it was less large but more on that later) This is on plywood (might be chipwood), as we couldn’t afford new OSB boards. (Were quoted £4000 for boards included). 

However there’s air bubbles all over the roof, including pinholes. And when he laid the top coat, the surface beneath was mainly white, and I read it’s meant to be transparent. 

There was also rain during the curing process, which led to £400 worth of damage to our ceilings as it leaked in 5 places.

I also found out he never measured the roof, and was using half the amount of materials needed only buying more after it rained, and roof leaked. He’s insisting it won’t leak again, but there’s pinholes and air bubbles all over which doesn’t give me much hope!

So I was wondering if you all agree that this work is worth 2k? And what my options might be. The builder said he never promised it would work 100%, only 85 - 90%, and he’s placed the blame on me because I didn’t give him exact measurements, and also didn’t tell him it was going to rain!

IMG_4012.thumb.jpeg.18e5600c149c8f9f2d8125e9ee44e8b9.jpeg

Oh dear.

Another builder that think GRP is a job anyone can do.

Regardless of the price (an iPhone is not really worth more than an Android) this looks to be a case of grind it off and start again.

Just about everything that could go wrong, has.

I have no idea how you are going to recover the costs from your builder, not easily I suspect.

Just now, TonyT said:

I’m afraid it looks like a £50 tarpaulin, indeed my garage has had a £50 tarpaulin that’s been 100% reliable for 2 years until I get going

We started with a felt roof, that he completely ripped off for this GRP, which he called a “repair job”. As we had one leak, that wasn’t even major, just a water patch on the ceiling that didn’t actually “leak”. 

Now we have ruined ceilings in three rooms, and I’m starting to think it would have been easier to stick £50 tarp over our felt roof. 

6 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Oh dear.

Another builder that think GRP is a job anyone can do.

Regardless of the price (an iPhone is not really worth more than an Android) this looks to be a case of grind it off and start again.

Just about everything that could go wrong, has.

I have no idea how you are going to recover the costs from your builder, not easily I suspect.

He still wants £675. And I’m very reluctant to give in, however don’t know where that leaves me legally. 

He said that he’s completed a watertight roof, but from what you also say it seems he hasn’t! 

Tell him you are getting a third party to give independent advice on the roof, if they say it’s acceptable you will pay, if not you will be looking to seek monies back for the roof.

likely he will bugger off

• Like 1

What a cowboy, tell him you are going to Sue for the damage caused and a Job “not fit for purpose”. I have done some small GRP roofs in the past (after attending a training course by the supplier) and it’s a very good roofing material IMO but must be done properly in  VERY DRY WEATHER 🙄.

3 minutes ago, Angelx12 said:

Slough 

Bad luck, I am 290 miles from you.

Do you have any pictures of the work being done?

I suspect that they over catalysed the resin and it started setting before they managed to get the mat impregnated properly.

As it rained during the process, I also think there will be uncured parts as well.

As @TonyT says, is looks like a tarpaulin.

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Bad luck, I am 290 miles from you.

Do you have any pictures of the work being done?

I suspect that they over catalysed the resin and it started setting before they managed to get the mat impregnated properly.

As it rained during the process, I also think there will be uncured parts as well.

As @TonyT says, is looks like a tarpaulin.

this was day after it rained 

IMG_3963.jpeg

Just now, Angelx12 said:

It was applied on a day when it was 27 degrees, and surface temp probably even hotter 

Glad I am not loosing my touch, it has been a few years since I did GRP work every day.

It really is going to have to be ripped off.

If you have no luck with the builder, ca you claim on your insurance?

I have done some fiberglass work, but boat building. IMO that roof needs to come off. I wouldn't do fiberglass roofing in the UK. Don't know what you are doing, ruined. Too Hot, ruined. Rain, ruined.

Your builder would, i'm sure, not put up with that standard of work on his own house. That roof, even if watertight now, will not last as it should. I would be looking for a full refund.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

I have done some fiberglass work, but boat building. IMO that roof needs to come off. I wouldn't do fiberglass roofing in the UK. Don't know what you are doing, ruined. Too Hot, ruined. Rain, ruined.

Your builder would, i'm sure, not put up with that standard of work on his own house. That roof, even if watertight now, will not last as it should. I would be looking for a full refund.

How long do you think it might last? Builder said it would be a few years then replace with new boards. 

2 minutes ago, Angelx12 said:

How long do you think it might last? Builder said it would be a few years then replace with new boards. 

When if the first heavy rain due?

It is really a shockingly bad job and when the winter freezes come, that will degrade it even faster.

Tell your builder that the boarding is not the issue. (It might also be poor but we can't tell) It's the fact that the fiberglass has been done so badly that it is not fit for purpose. To be honest, it might last a couple of years, or shorter, or longer. I did a repair to a fibreglass roof 30 years ago. I told them it was temporary. It's still there.

Tell him you are going to have the roof looked at, as you have been told it is poor quality work.

1 minute ago, Big Jimbo said:

Tell your builder that the boarding is not the issue. (It might also be poor but we can't tell) It's the fact that the fiberglass has been done so badly that it is not fit for purpose. To be honest, it might last a couple of years, or shorter, or longer. I did a repair to a fibreglass roof 30 years ago. I told them it was temporary. It's still there.

Tell him you are going to have the roof looked at, as you have been told it is poor quality work.

He says the pinholes and air bubbles are only there because of the old boards. He seems to have an excuse every time I say that the fibreglass doesn’t look properly installed. Even when it leaked, it took an additional day for the water to soak through into the bathroom. And he didn’t know why it happened and ask us if our neighbours had used their hose on our roof. 

so when you say it’s been done so badly, what are the tell tale signs for you?

8 minutes ago, Angelx12 said:

He says the pinholes and air bubbles are only there because of the old boards

Does he.

Part of the processes of laying up composites is to exclude all the air from the matrix.  One could argue that it is the fundamental part of the job.

10 minutes ago, Angelx12 said:

what are the tell tale signs for you

The whiteness, this is dry mat i.e. no resin impregnation, and the longer, and larger, 'bubbles', this is a sign that the mat was not consolidated with the resin before it started curing.