What software do architects use for (a) design & drawings, (b) rendering?

Draw the floor and elevations in CAD in 2D, this is because DWG is the industry standard for most, ie engineers, surveys and the like.

Import into Sketchup, you might need Pro for this. I use sketchup to make it into a 3D model. I do this because it’s quicker than doing the 3D in Vectorworks, Revit or CAD and most jobs don’t need 3D drawings anyway.

I use V-ray to render the sketchup. I mainly picked this one as it comes with the Sketchup Studio package. I think there are better ones but it’s fine for what you need.

Then Photoshop the image to make it good.

@Papillon which CAD do you and others use in the industry for 2D work? I've done a bit of 2D in Sketchup (a floor plan and an elevation) and hopeful there is something easier to use (or cheaper!) as I need to do a couple more elevation and section drawings. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Sparrowhawk said:

@Papillon which CAD do you and others use in the industry for 2D work? I've done a bit of 2D in Sketchup (a floor plan and an elevation) and hopeful there is something easier to use (or cheaper!) as I need to do a couple more elevation and section drawings. Thanks!

I just use cad light now, I have used cad architect, but it’s not necessary.

you can buy an add-on for sketchup that makes it easier to set up pages, it makes it to scale. I think it’s called LayOut?

I find Cad the easiest, maybe you could get a trial version and do it in 30 days?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sparrowhawk said:

hopeful there is something easier to use (or cheaper!) as I need to do a couple more elevation and section drawings.

If that's all you're doing, I'd suggest using pencil and paper, unless you particularly want to learn CAD.

Personally and I use TurboCAD but, like most CAD software, it involves a very steep learning curve.

On 03/07/2023 at 11:58, saveasteading said:

REVIT is in a class of its own.

With a price tag to match and most users won't use 10% of what it can do. I quite like Draftsight for 2D (£200 PA) and OnShape for 3D (Free - but you have to share your drawings with anyone who wants to look!)

• Like 1