Holes in slates wrong for vertical cladding can I punch some more?

We are getting ready to fit the cladding which is formed of fibre cement slates hung vertically. The ones we have have the holes set for the roof pitch but I can get away with a 25mm smaller headlap when using them vertically, and save myself 200+slates! It means adding some new fixing holes 25mm below the ones in the slate. As far as I can see the old holes won't be visible so I am thinking there is no problem doing this but just in case I am being very stupid and cannot see the obvious I though I would seek the collective wisdom!

Is it OK to punch new holes and carry on?

I made a cover for my car charger, I just drilled the slate with a masonary bit, on drill not hammer.  Never punched a hole in slate and didn’t have spares so drilling worked for me

Edited by TonyT

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

Why not consider hook fixing?  They are much more secure and the slates won't rattle in the wind.

+1, my builder used hooks and a far better method in my opinion (and you can get broken slates out and replace them!).

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

+1, my builder used hooks and a far better method in my opinion (and you can get broken slates out and replace them!).

Cement fibre slates are nailed then have a copper rivet fitter to stop them lifting. Hooks would be pointless.