Window and sound transfer.

gustyturbine

Hello all. I'm new here so be gentle. I've used other forums and recognise the names of some old friends 🙂

So, I've built once before 11 years or so ago. I'm on the wet, green west Wales coast. 

I've recently been successful in obtaining planning permission on a field I own so it's now build time (again).

The design of our bedroom windows has become almost what I would call a wrap around window so it incorporates a vertical window unit with a Velux style following the roof angle. 

My question is this really. To minimise rain and hail noise in the Velux section would you see value in going for 3g. Does 3g make sense in the UK from a heating point of view? 

I've been considering Velfac and Rationel. 

Would anyone suggest others that have performed well out there?

Thanks in advance all.

For noise you would really need 3g or better. Velux do a passive roof window that has 5 glazing units in it too. I lived in a converted attic with old double glazed units and it was noisy some nights (years ago). You can use 3G carefully around the house i.e. north facing windows and where road noise would be an issue and 2G for the rest. I'd go 3G throughout just because why not, unless cost is a factor. 

I don't rate Velfac myself having seen them up close. Rationel I love, aluclad would be my preference. 

For roof windows you're really looking at Velux or Fakro but Velux would be more popular and I think slightly better range and quality still? 

Best of luck with the project!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gustyturbine said:

Does 3g make sense in the UK from a heating point of view? 

Make sense? That depends on your priorities.

For us It did (does) because we wanted lots of glass.  And we love the noise made by hail and rain.  Yes, there's a bit of solar gain, yes it's a bit cooler in winter than optimal. On balance we're very happy with Gaulhofer : this is what it looks like .....

house.thumb.jpg.db2daaaa551a978aac5de22c29c0ed4d.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gustyturbine said:

That depends on your starting point.

So old house, there are many areas that need attention first, before 3G makes any sense.

New build, where airtightness, wall, floor and roof insulation are already taken care of (better than building standards) 3G can be beneficial as its impact is bigger, but it all depends on what you want achieve. 

Looking at u values alone, 1G has U value of around 5, double glazing latest spec about 1.4, 3G about 0.8.

We have a lot of glass with 3G it represents about 45% of the total heat loss of the house. With 2G it would have represented about 66% on the coldest days. But on a strictly cost repay, maybe not sensible.

Also it depends where in the country you live, far south have much shorter and milder heating seasons, than the North of Scotland for example.

3G reduces the noise transmission.

We have 3G passivhaus certified roof lights from Roof Maker.

3 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Make sense? That depends on your priorities.

For us It did (does) because we wanted lots of glass.  And we love the noise made by hail and rain.  Yes, there's a bit of solar gain, yes it's a bit cooler in winter than optimal. On balance we're very happy with Gaulhofer : this is what it looks like .....

house.thumb.jpg.db2daaaa551a978aac5de22c29c0ed4d.jpg

No comment on the windows but that's a great looking house. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

we found when we were investigating windows that 3G were about 10-15% uplift over 2G so for a new build I wouldn't really consider 2G at all. I'm sure it won't be long before building regulations mandate 3G with a drive for greater efficiency of houses and so I'd put 3G in now rather than worrying about being out of date at some point and having to replace the lot!

just my 2 cents.

ps. @ToughButterCup's house is definitely a great looking house!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Gusty.

9 hours ago, gustyturbine said:

Probably marginal where you are.

But as @JohnMo says, in a new place where you want to get ACH below 1, then as a fraction of the whole, it seems to make sense.

As for noise, the bigger they are, the more they will vibrate when hit by rain, especially wind driven rain.

12 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Welcome Gusty.

Probably marginal where you are.

But as @JohnMo says, in a new place where you want to get ACH below 1, then as a fraction of the whole, it seems to make sense.

As for noise, the bigger they are, the more they will vibrate when hit by rain, especially wind driven rain.

Thanks all, Rational 2g has come in as 30k plus VAT and 3g is only 3k more. The price is slightly painful but 3g makes sense for that kind of difference to me 😁

On 29/06/2023 at 10:44, gustyturbine said:

Has anyone dealt with or heard of Neuffer doors and windows? 

I've also contacted Internorm but I expect them to be pricey.

Thanks.

Neuffer came back with a rough figure of between 70-80k. Rationel was 33k. I understand German quality but how do people afford 70-80k on windows alone. Stroll on. 

There are a number of window manufacturers. we sent out to about 6 for quotes and then narrowed that down to 3 before finally choosing Norrsken. you'll find that every company comes back with different figures. keep trying and then whittle the companies down to ones that fit your budget but also that you feel comfortable dealing with as sometimes that peace of mind is worth paying more £££

• Like 1