Architect vs Builder - How clean should your DPC be?

Jimbo37

Hi all, a steer, please?

I have had a chat with my builder, as I felt the cavity & ties were not clean enough.

- He agreed that the ties should be cleaner, and was agreeable.

- He felt that because there is a 150mm (min, but 175mm mostly) drop in the DPC from inner leaf to outer leaf, that it is OK to have a small amount. I told him that I had sent pictures to the (sick, but doing some work) architect for her view, and he said that she will say they should be clean, but that is simply not practical. 

Obviously, I pay her to keep standard up, but am mindful that the builder may have a point, on practicability - thoughts? To make my question more direct - is 25mm of droppings in a 150/175mm DPC OK, or do I need to insist on a clean? Likewise, I could just rock in, and demand my "rights", but I feel there is good value in keeping an amenable builder happy!

Not sure that the idea of 'one discipline versus another is helpful . The architect probably hasn't ever lifted a trowel or dried out a wet wall, or the builder had to create a scale drawing or buy a decent pair of trousers to go to work.

Trades and professions often 'dis' one another - especially when they are on your payroll. I got really fed up with that. 

If you want them cleaned, get them cleaned . If they won't, then DIY.

If you don't, you'll be watching the bottom of your walls for water marks for ever and a day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, nod said:

That doesn’t look bad at all 

Tell him to go round and give the ties a rattle Then we are good 

He will know what you mean 

Plus one to this. That’s fine

• Like 1

If someone posted pics of a ‘messy’ cavity, you’d see that this guy is actually working to keep the cavity clean.
Architect will just repeat what is written in the guidelines, but most architects can’t build a house. Each to their own. 
You’ve nothing to worry about here, and I’d go tell the builder what you’ve been told about his work. There will be a cloud hanging over him otherwise. Nothing worse than that. 

• Like 2