The right decision to stick build

saveasteading

Here is the progress on the garage, now adding the lean-to.

2 weeks of long days x 3 diy ers.

The materials cost above slab is about £5k incl the cladding yet to come

The ped  door was surplus due to an ordering error with the house.

I think a kit would have cost a fair bit more, but be less sturdy.

Your next question is about bco isn't it?

BUT the garage is under 30m2 and he says the lean-to doesn't need regs. I don't understand that but it's what we wanted to hear.

IMG-20230620-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20230620-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20230620-WA0016.jpg

• Like 5

Looks great, cant wait until I can afford a workshop.  

Is it vertical board on board cladding?

are the roof tiles going to transition to the lean too as well? 

The wall will be horizontal boarding. I like staining but they like faded grey. Roof is to be metal. The roof  transition hasn't been thought through yet, and they haven't asked me. Just a garage and distant from the house so perhaps just let if fly from one roof to the next.

The elegant solution is a gutter and stub dp, but seems over the top.

There is one gutter going in somewhere to store water in an IBC. 

When it's done I will show the world.

37 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

expect it's because the lean to is open on 3 sides

That seldom applies with planning ( we know you will infill) 

It might just be pragmatism. Instated but ..'..i trust you and it's no big deal'.

They asked 3 times, 3 ways,  to be sure.

6 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Here is the progress on the garage, now adding the lean-to.

Looking good!

6 hours ago, saveasteading said:

BUT the garage is under 30m2 and he says the lean-to doesn't need regs. I don't understand that but it's what we wanted to hear.

Ok? But for all you spend loads of money on something like this so regs or not you want it to stay put.

You'll notice that that there are come chunky connections at the base (can't see the top..) that @saveasteading has designed.. but why?

For all with something like this it's often the case that although you have to hold up the downwards load.. the wind uplift can sometimes be more.. the thing acts like an aircraft wing and wants to take off. I have seen this happen on more than one occasion.

Now you may say.. open on three sides so the wind will blow through. But it's how you are going to use it that often matters.

When designing canopy hay sheds say we consider that at the end of the summer the thing is filled with hay. Now the farmer starts taking bails out from one end.. and out the middle where the bails are dry. Now we have a partially enclosed building. In the design codes we call the bails.. a blocking effect and the open sides, one or two as a dominant opening. The internal wind pressures (inflating effect) coupled with the wind suction on the top side of the roof can be surprisingly large.

Now rather than bails you may want to store logs.. large machinery under a hap.. very similar to bails. The worst of the winds can occur November to say January.. just the time when you have created the perfect conditions for wind uplift.

Motto is make sure you really tie the roof down to something solid! Lastly think about.. say the roof comes off.. what is it going to hit on it's journey back to earth?

There are rules in the agricultural design codes that deal with proximity of these type of buildings to others when assessing the classification of a farm building. Yes I know it is not an agricultural building.. but if the roof comes off and hits your house or the neighbours, worse a person, what is the insurance postition and your liability?

11 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

come chunky connections at the base (can't see the top..) that @saveasteading has designed.. but why

I can't claim any credit other than pragmatism. The guy on the roof is a retired accountant who has discovered a flair in, and joy from, building in timber. As he is my daughters father-in-law,  he comes free of charge other than food and wine and the odd dram of the local speciality.

He is the designer. I thought it could be 30% lighter but let it slide...it gives mass and stiffness. 

The canopy is fixed with genuine pin bases and is vulnerable to uplift. On the nearby shed we just put tyres on the roof and lash it down. Winter will tell.

The garage is to be lined inside at the door, which is currently a weak plane.

11 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

The internal wind pressures (inflating effect) coupled with the wind suction on the top side of the roof can be surprisingly large.

Scarily so. I've been in very dynamic sheds during strong winds ( poss hurricane gusts in Sussex). The diagonal bracing rods were snapping tight. It wasn't about to lift off bug there was local damage at external flashings.

When erecting an industrial shed, the wind all over the site is maximum when the roof goes on without walls.

• 1 month later...
On 20/06/2023 at 16:06, Jenki said:

it vertical board on board cladding?

are the roof tiles going to transition to the lean too as well? 

Wallz. Yes, unmoulded planks of spruce, hit and miss then overboarded.

Roof. I haven't inspected it yet but have told them to add more screws at corners as the wind force will be far more there. In storms it is always flashings that come loose. This cladding came from a supplier in inverness that we didn't know of in time for the house roof.

IMG-20230707-WA0001.jpg

• Like 2