SUDS driveway with porcelain tiles?

BartW

Hi,

As above, planning a SUDS compliant driveway. We were going to use resin bound aggregate, but we do like a look of ceramic tiles laid with large gaps filled with grass.

I appreciate the above is not water permeable, but would it make it compliant if:

A) Aco drain was introduced?

B) where the standing grass would be that could be classed as means of draining away

C) both?

Picture for reference:

image.png.30482c3c6f3b7a52e728cb23c56e9fe1.png

Hi @BartW

The percentage of permeable surface doesn't look enough to absorb the water quick enough to avoid flooding. I assume the grass would be fake. would it turn muddy and 'slippery when wet' would be my fear.

The Aco drain would empty into where?

M

This sounds to me like...I know I need permeable paving but don't really want to.

We know that porcelain won't allow water through. Therefore either have big gaps of permeable material or slope it all towards a drain, which must soak away.

Porcelain isn't my choice. It will get very slippy when wet. Will it scratch then hold the dirt? I don't know.

4 hours ago, BartW said:

...but we do like a look of ceramic tiles laid with large gaps filled with grass.

So does SWMBO.   She now really HATES our BCO because ...... she now knows what the regs are .... 

How about - get it signed off as as cheaply as possible and as compliant - and then change it to what you want? 

Who's gonna know?

Ceramic tiles outside + rain+ oil spots + dust  = broken hips

I am not sure doing it cheaply and quickly is what I want to do. If I have to redo, then might as well do correctly now.

The ceramics are R11 slip resistance, so that should be ok?

As for the ACO, yes it was going to drain to the main drainage, but I could implement a polycrate soak way... if needed?

Am I just trying too hard?

4 minutes ago, AppleDown said:

Just a question - as I really like the idea too - is porcelain strong enough to not crack under the load of a car, say with a nice rock sticking out from the tyre treads?

I checked the spec of the tiles for flexural strength and it suggests minimum of 15N / mm2. This loosely translates to 152kg per cm2. Average contact patch in a 2t car tyre is likely to be 200mm x 100mm. Assume then 200cm2. So about 30.5t per wheel. That's of course static, and unsupported load. Mine will be dynamic but fully bedded. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Well @BartW, yer tryin' , tryin' 'ard. I'll give ya  that.

Next stop: the BCO's office with a bottle of Babycham - see if that works ..... 

And I tried.

Nothing to do with them.

Next stop: Cherwell Council Planning Office.