Securing a pergola

Hi everyone,

I’m mulling over pergola design for our garden. Still haven’t decided exactly what we want but one design is basically an L shape around the patio area. I was going to secure the posts into the soil with postcrete, like a fence post. Then we’ll be able to plant climbers that climb up the pergola (see photo)

However, I’m now thinking a more convention pergola might also be good as it will provide more shade - square, 4 uprights type thing. With this there is potential to secure to the patio. I haven’t actually laid any slabs yet and if we do go down this route I’m guessing digging out where the posts will go and filling with concrete will provide the best foundation for the posts. Or is securing to the patio OK too?

Any recommendations would be good. Is there a good guide on the internet. Something similar to pavingexpert?

Many thanks,

Ed

IMG_0546.jpeg

Thanks. Yes I thought so. It’s not a problem I can dig holes and build up a foundation on the patio. I haven’t started to lay anything yet only the Type 1. 

If going into the soil would you build a concrete foundation and bolt the the uprights on top or just dig a hole put the posts in the hole then add postcrete? I’m guess the first option might be better on post wear?

Thanks everyone. Appreciate your input. 

Someone on another forum suggested a sail idea,which I quite liked. I’d be able to put/take down when I wanted then. I’m considering using some pretty sturdy 150mm square posts so securing is pretty key. I understand that installing on top of a concrete footing would be great for replacement and longevity but wouldn’t digging a hole placing a post on a plinth or gravel and filling with concrete, making sure the concrete finishes above soil level be stronger and also rot resistant? Essentially the same concrete foundation but the post is held in the concrete rather than on top. Basically like a fence post. 

I’m just thinking that sitting a hefty post on top wouldn’t be strong enough.