Hidden Cistern False Wall

DarrenP

Hi, 

Planning the family bathroom layout and am going to ask the plumber to fit a back to wall toilet with hidden cistern but I'm trying to work out what depth of wall I need to build.. is 200mm deep enough to take the waste?

Also any tips on making the toilet serviceable after instal false panels? lift of shelf?

Hi @DarrenP

I made panels related to the tile layout minus about a 10mm border with the tile stuck on the front and instead of grout I siliconed around the edges of the tiles so I could open again.

Have a look at the depth of back to the wall frames for indications 

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/bathroom-accessories/toilet-accessories/wall-mounting-fixing-frames

M

• Like 1

I done know @Dave Jones First, i dont have to have that bloody huge push plate right behind the lift up toilet seat. I tend to have a small button off to the side. I usually do the shelf in either Marble, Granite, or a manufactured stone. This provides a useful space for my expensive (Hugo Boss, etc) reed diffuser.

• Like 3

Thanks all, I was using the concealed cistern as its cheaper than the frames and was planning on doing the removable top and front panel... our priority is to make it child proof though so the top shelf will need to be fixed in some way probably silicone? and will look around to get a cut piece of granite. 

• Like 1

Look around for your nearest stone worktop supplier. They are usually more than happy to get rid of the stacks of small bits of stone they have cluttering the yard. I'm sure they would put a polished front edge on it for you for a few quid. The other point is that you can if you want have behind the loo fully tiled, and a small duel push button off to the side.

I hate those bloody huge push plates, that are right behind the up toilet seat.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 20:18, Big Jimbo said:

I have always done the lift off shelf above. I have never fancied trying to get my big hands in through the hole in the front panel

That's also what I did. Used stone in both our bathrooms and was careful just to centre a 600mm wide piece on the pan. Stuck the stone to the removable bit of hardi backer board. Didn't bother to grout the joints either side but could do. 

20230615_205819.thumb.jpg.939aa214e06d5131ddb01738f76ea9f0.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DarrenP said:

Thanks all, I was using the concealed cistern as its cheaper than the frames and was planning on doing the removable top and front panel... our priority is to make it child proof though so the top shelf will need to be fixed in some way probably silicone? and will look around to get a cut piece of granite. 

We used Hardie Backer board and stone photo above. Too heavy for young kids to lift and held down by the flush plate anyway.  

• Like 1