Toilet bowls, varnish and eco toilets

CalvinHobbes

Many many moons ago dad had me at a toilet factory in Stratford. I recall the guy who was making them explain to me how they were graded. It was all to do with how smooth they were, explaining how the bumps caught the faeces. He also said something about the glaze, the hotel loos - best quality had an extra coat.

The man said don't skimp on your toilet bowl because you will pay for it in years of cleaning.

I asked a retail bathroom salesman about this and he looked like a rabbit in the headlights.

Also, this water conservation stuff - do the water saving toilets work? Do they clear the jobbies?

Most (all?) pans have a round outlet pipe but on many it transitions to something not perfectly round when you look down the pan. In my many years of cleaning pans (I'm over 60) it's best to avoid the ones with are very "square" as you get err build up in the corners. Most toilet brushes are round and don't always reach into the corners of the square if you get what I mean.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike said:

Anyone else remember siphonic WCs? There was one at a friend's house when I was a kid. As I recall it used much less water, was very quiet and very effective.

I remember how they would fill up alarmingly when you flushed, then just before overflowing there would be a gurgling woosh and it would all disappear.

• Like 1

I have done some monsters in the past, think Loch Ness, and hat sort of length.

Two ful buckets of water just ain't enough sometimes. Like Sherlock Holmes and his two pipe problem, mine became a 3 bucket problem.

Once managed to block up 3 bogs in one weekend.

Luckily the doctors found the problem and now I only do knee high ones after a long flight, why, I don't know.

Tempted to enter the world's longest Cumberland sausage completion. Should be good for a deadcatting strategy. 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Temp said:
On 11/06/2023 at 01:43, Mike said:

siphonic WCs

I remember how they would fill up alarmingly when you flushed, then just before overflowing there would be a gurgling woosh and it would all disappear.

Yes, they did!