Laying geotextile weed suppressant fabric

Hi everyone,

I’m going to be laying sub base for the patio soon and have woven geotextile fabric to put down beneath it. Ideally I’d like to knock in some pegs at the required sub base height at various points to help me gauge levelling etc but that will mean the fabric will have holes in it. Is this OK?

Any thoughts/guidance appreciated. 

cheers,

Ed

22 minutes ago, machtucker said:

have woven geotextile fabric to put down beneath it.

I wouldn’t bother. Not very helpful if you have already bought it!

1 hour ago, TonyT said:

That will be no problem, or you could add small stones to hold in place

It’s not holding it in place which is the problem it’s that I want to hammer legs into the soil to show me what level to apply sub base to. 

8 hours ago, machtucker said:

why so?

What is its purpose?

To separate the sub base from what’s under? Ok but is that really needed.

to stop weeds growing?

Nothings coming up through a sub base, mortar layer and slabs? If anything it will be sown from above in cracks in the grout lines.

Edited by jfb

Hi @machtucker

I would definetly use geotextile. I would avoid putting holes in it. 

The process I use is to compact the ground, lay the geotextile, pour in the MOT Type 1 and compact the MOT Type 1.

To set the levels I usually place bricks so the tops are at the top of the proposed type 1 traversing the level using a spiritlevel, or bang pegs in the ground outside the hole to be filled.

Geotextiles is designed to perform one or more basic functions such as filtration, drainage, separation of soil layers, reinforcement, or stabilisation.

Under patios and base slabs, where type 1 is used it helps to resist the fines (the bit that binds the bigger stones together) from leaving the type 1. It will also help to avoid saturated soil entering the type 1 and weaking it.

20230605_111727.thumb.jpg.4af311361b06948fbdd416cba2f6da8d.jpg

47 minutes ago, jfb said:

What is its purpose?

To separate the sub base from what’s under? Ok but is that really needed.

to stop weeds growing?

Nothings coming up through a sub base, mortar layer and slabs? If anything it will be sown from above in cracks in the grout lines.

In general, I agree. If it was a driveway on very poor soil I'd consider geotextile but, in a domestic situation, not otherwise. And weeds will be seeded from above, unless you have an invasion of Japanese Knot Weed or similar.

Thanks for the comments everyone. It was mainly to stop weeds but I hear what you’re saying jfb, the mortar and slabs should do that. Being a complete newbie I was just going by advice I read on the pavingexpert website. 

Anyway, I’ve put the fabric down and knocked some pegs in. Off to San Diego tomorrow but I’ll put the MOT type 1 down when I get back. 

Only taken me 3 years to get to this point. 😂 my wife loves me. 😂

3F25D58D-16C5-443F-BC3C-9607C413EFC0.jpeg