Building regs drawings myself?

Sophiae

On 03/06/2023 at 19:00, TonyT said:

no I mean search for a property, so you drive past a house like the look of the work, find the drawing online and use that as a starting point for your drawing.

like below

http://planning.northamptonboroughcouncil.com/civica/Resource/Civica/Handler.ashx/doc/pagestream?DocNo=10971130&pdf=true&filename=Plans - M00521-100-01 Structural Plans %26 Details.pdf

Great idea. I didn’t know plans could have free access.  ill consider it. Thank you. 

• 1 month later...

Why not just do it on a building notice and make it up as you go along? No need for drawings if your builder is vaguely competent.

We're doing 16m2 rear extension, mono pitch, on a notice at the moment.

2 hours ago, HughF said:

Why not just do it on a building notice and make it up as you go along? No need for drawings if your builder is vaguely competent.

We're doing 16m2 rear extension, mono pitch, on a notice at the moment.

I suppose because I am a visual person and I don’t understand most of the work unless I can see a drawing or a video of it. It will be easier for me to write things down when I am able to go through the layers and details, rather than miss important details and then it would be my fault. 

I managed to find a few really good resources online along with copyrighted drawings which I am able to use for guidance. Equally very fortune to have an experienced guide reviewing my work till my final submission. 

1 hour ago, Sophiae said:

IMG_3333.jpeg

I would preferably something like this for a pitched roof. 

Screenshot_2023-07-12-15-45-31-048_com.google.android_apps.docs-edit.thumb.jpg.d28eba58ab8a9f27f38b929f63bc315e.jpg

Much less wasteful of labour and  material and cheaper by my calcs too. 

Better for airtightness and windtightness and heat protection also if done properly. 

Edited by Iceverge
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sophiae said:

I suppose because I am a visual person and I don’t understand most of the work unless I can see a drawing or a video of it. It will be easier for me to write things down when I am able to go through the layers and details, rather than miss important details and then it would be my fault. 

I managed to find a few really good resources online along with copyrighted drawings which I am able to use for guidance. Equally very fortune to have an experienced guide reviewing my work till my final submission. 

Fair enough… I’m a close my eyes and visualise it sort of person so I have no need for drawings and all that guff 🤣 my builder is a building notice kind of guy so we get on well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

This website below is what I used to do prepare my own Planning & Building Reg drawings for a 'wrap around' 2-storey rear extension /single storey side extension.

Along with lots of research online and it also helped me being a Mechanical Engineer able to use AutoCAD.....

The website below is also recommended by my local authority Building Control:-

Yes. One which we like is from a company called Building Regs 4 Plans.

The website is: www.buildingregs4plans.co.uk

Edited by MAB