In-roof Solar Panels - Self Build House

iMCaan

• 1 month later...
On 02/06/2023 at 12:32, Conor said:

BC won't care as long as the loadings have been accounted for in the design. Your DNO and electric supplier will, however. The installation will need to be signed off as safe and G98 compliant by a competent spark. But no requirement to be part of any scheme. My 5.2pKw in roof install cost about £5k. That includes the £600 for the sparks side of things. Prices have gone up a bit so im not sure you'll get it done for 1p/W. I installed the trays myself with help of the roofers. Fairly simple once you get your head around the battening requirements.

Just to resurrect an old thread..... do I need to do the G98 application before installing the panels on the roof?  I assume not as I see no issues.

As with most things, GB suppliers often don't like to ship into half-in, half-out of EU land.   So where did you order decently priced solar panels and GSE frames in Northern Ireland? 

Our roof is going on soon.  I'm hoping the roofers can fit the GSE panels and I can worry about the inverter later (assuming no micro inverters).

What size ventilation gap under the panels?  We were thinking of 25mm batten and 75mm counter batten with the 75mm batten removed under the GSE frame.  Is that sensible?

Any other guidance here?

Edited by Mr Blobby

14 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Just to resurrect an old thread..... do I need to do the G98 application before installing the panels on the roof?  I assume not as I see no issues.

As with most things, GB suppliers often don't like to ship into half-in, half-out of EU land.   So where did you order decently priced solar panels and GSE frames in Northern Ireland? 

Our roof is going on soon.  I'm hoping the roofers can fit the GSE panels and I can worry about the inverter later (assuming no micro inverters).

What size ventilation gap under the panels?  We were thinking of 25mm batten and 75mm counter batten with the 75mm batten removed under the GSE frame.  Is that sensible?

Any other guidance here?

G98 done after as you need tests etc done by spark.

Got all my gear from ITS, shipping was about £120.

GSE panels just go directly on top of the 25mm battens as per the instructions. You need to get the batten positions right. Reccomend getting some 25x100mm battens for this. The screws with the panels are pretty hefty and I found they split the 50mm battens, even with predrilling.

I screwed my optimisers on after the roof was done.

PXL_20210903_145633195.thumb.jpg.c2547911bb916cdba2f28ffd0ee17b75.jpg

Think these may have been facing the wrong way and I had to flip them over.

PXL_20210903_150605440.thumb.jpg.483eb0b1bf75522a3272e04088c7d8a1.jpgPXL_20210903_175814150.thumb.jpg.12cc29ab77ac9d59dc24a5add406aad5.jpg

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Conor said:

GSE panels just go directly on top of the 25mm battens as per the instructions. You need to get the batten positions right. Reccomend getting some 25x100mm battens for this. The screws with the panels are pretty hefty and I found they split the 50mm battens, even with predrilling.

Thanks.

So 25x100 battens to attach the GSE panels.  Are your tiles attached to the same batten?  So 25mm ventilation gap is ok.

We will have standing seam roof so we need minimum 50mm ventilation gap under the standing seam I think.  

I think I need to speak to the roofers.  And read the instructions 🤔

• 5 months later...

I'm trying to source 6 GSE horizontal trays for some Schott panels (1685x990x50mm) installed in 2012. I've sized the trays as model version 2022 1690-1020. Has anyone got any leads, please? I've tried 6 companies so far. GSE seem uncontactable. Maybe there's some old stock for this size pv lurking somewhere that someone wants rid of.