Fence alongside neighbours fence.

We have a rental property next door and their boundary fence resembles the Great Wall of china its up ,down zigs in and out has gaps everywhere and the end of the run is collapsing into my garden.

I have spoken to the landlord and he said he would renew it when he got the next lot of tenants in but that was 5 years ago I even offered to pay half but nothing as to date and I have been reluctant to run a fence alongside it on my property for not wanting to give up a couple of inches of my garden if he sees my new fence and  he takes his down.

We have however decided to get a dog this summer and I want the garden secure for him/her the rest of my property is fine so im going to run my own fence.

Thoughts....

7 minutes ago, Discoeye said:

and the end of the run is collapsing into my garden.

Then push it over in his garden when no one is looking. Why not ask again offering half the cost.

Edited by joe90
  • Thanks 1

we had a similar situation at my mother-in-law’s I ripped the old fence down and stacked it in his garden and put a new one up in the same spot 

we paid for it ourselves 

My mother-in-law cornered him a few weeks later and managed to get £80 towards his half 

I suspect neighbor couldn’t care less where it goes As long as he doesn’t have to pay for it 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nod said:

I suspect neighbor couldn’t care less where it goes As long as he doesn’t have to pay for it 

And Gary ( @nod ) isn't the suspcious type   ....  so he must be right.

He has one Hell of a Mother In Law by the sounds of things..... 😜

Edited by ToughButterCup
  • Haha 1

The only time I had this was a neighbour who when a fence blew down, took the splintered bits, "rebuilt" a panel and put it back up.  In the end I suggested I put up a new fence.

I took the two posts at the ends, put s string line between them and put up my new fence.  In the middle I had "gained" nearly 2 feet of garden the original line was that crooked.

The neighbour never complained.

• Thanks 1

I had a similar-ish situation years ago - the neighbour owned the garden wall and was quite happy with it, despite its poor condition and being topped with barbed wire. I ended up erecting a fence on my side to obscure it.

2 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

And Gary ( @nod ) isn't the suspcious type   ....  so he must be right.

He has one Hell of a Mother In Law by the sounds of things..... 😜

83 and formidable 😁