Scammed by a rogue builder, now completing and fixing all the bad jobs

lifeviaai

9 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

err no. BCO applies NHBC rules, never seen them go against NHBC ever. Have you ?

never had NHBC on site as never used their warranties nor had reason to - they won’t do small sites and the warranty is worth slightly less than bog roll.

5 hours ago, dpmiller said:

Surely the BCO is checking compliance with the Statutory Instruments and likes it if you take the easy option of using the ADs to achieve this?

Use independent BCO and all done to the ADs unless pre-agreed at design stage and then it’s checked against design 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

the warranty is worth slightly less than bog roll.

I'm about to drag one such company backwards through hot coals on my clients behalf. They may as well have just sat in the car vs walk around being pretentious and self-inflated non-important wombles, tbh. What they've signed off on has since been exposed as is horrific. They've clearly just looked at the lipstick applied by the builder, who I have had sacked, and now we are JUST about at the end of a long and expensive journey putting his utterly fecking garbage works right.

BCO is the ONLY tenacious and 'particular' guy on this site to date. Apart from me that is!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, PeterW said:

never had NHBC on site as never used their warranties nor had reason to - they won’t do small sites and the warranty is worth slightly less than bog roll.

Use independent BCO and all done to the ADs unless pre-agreed at design stage and then it’s checked against design 

all the BCO I've ever had over last 10 years accept NHBC specs without question as the industry standard. maybe you know different...

design stage ? not sure what you on about, in the real world BCO regs plans are produced and built too. 

Still waiting for you to provide evidence of where NHBC specs are wrong. Be good to advise them you know better than them.

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

design stage ? not sure what you on about, in the real world BCO regs plans are produced and built too. 

yes - my “real world” is as a partner in a consultancy that does M&E design for architects and other construction projects … it’s the stuff done prior to the house being built… it’s called design stage and produces the specifications and plans that BCO require … 

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

all the BCO I've ever had over last 10 years accept NHBC specs without question as the industry standard.

far from industry standard - the industry uses the Approved Documents as the standard, along with other sources like Robust Details to define agreed approaches. The NHBC “standard” along with the LABC “standard” are used by their inspectors for warranty purposes - they are essentially their additions to the ADs (as per above) which they require to meet their warranty terms.

Issue is that on a large build site their standard inspections are applied 1:3 or 1:4 of each design on the plot - that can mean inspecting only 6 or 7 houses in a 30 house development. The rest ..? Well, I’ll let you make your own mind up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

The rest ..? Well, I’ll let you make your own mind up.

My SE told me he’d been to sites where eventually he has to walk off . The example he sited was a known developer; the workmen were chucking coke cans etc in a particular corner of the slab mesh before the concrete pour . SE told them to remove it ( apparently it was a lot ) . Lazy or what . Concrete got poured over it . Likely that corner will crack/fail probably not , but if it did …… . He told me this because of how good and meticulous ( yes ; correct word ) I had been on my foundations . Gold badge ️ for me 😎

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pocster said:

The example he sited was a known developer; the workmen were chucking coke cans etc in a particular corner of the slab mesh before the concrete pour . SE told them to remove it ( apparently it was a lot ) . Lazy or what .

Yep .. I’ve heard all sorts, and it’s mildly scary what you find on snagging visits especially if you go during build. The scariest one was a steel sitting on a pair of padstones with one that was visibly tilting sideways sound 20mm from vertical as the “packing” was some bits of cardboard off a sandwich… “it’s ok, plasterer will skim that out” was the response when asked what they were doing with it…

• Sad 1