Is this a reasonable quote - Groundworks/Trench for new utilities connection

Hi All

Received this quote to dig a trench for all the utilities to service the plot from the main road/supply points. Is this reasonable. Thanks

Quotation for works 

To excavate service trench from the road boundary hedge, across the field and into site (approx. 160m) 

Supply and install 1 x 32mm barrier water pipe and all fittings 

To install 1 x 96.5mm BT ducting (supplied by BT) 

To supply and install 1 x 150mm gas ducting 

Electric cable will be installed into excavated trench by WPD 

All to be bedded on and backfilled with sand with appropriate marker tapes 

Trench to be compacted and reinstated back to agricultural field 

Total cost – £16126.00 + VAT 

Please be aware- If you wish to install another barrier pipe at the same time the cost would be £1950+ VAT.  This quotation includes all labour, machinery and materials for the above works only. Any other works can be undertaken at an agreed hourly rate. I estimate these repairs will take between 8-12 days.

It's a fair distance. IIRC, I was quoted around £1,500 to run approx 30m of 32mm MDPE, which I managed to do myself in a couple of days (and it was my first rodeo)

How handy are you with a digger? Save yourself 10k and do it yourself.

Edited by jayc89

Seems like good money for a weeks work, if the land was all mine no issues with neighbouring land or local authorities land, then I'd be pricing up the ducting/materials from a civils supplier and digger hire for a week or 2 and certainly consider doing it myself.  Is the terrain particularly difficult to work with?  Would it be a pain in the arse job?

I'll let others comment on the price, but ensure the works in the quote is for a compliant multiservice trench to WPD [now NG] standards,  else there will be a lot intakes of breath, tutting and "other works  at an agreed hourly rate" when WPD turn up.  

A little light reading:-

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjZs7OgkZD_AhXZhFwKHc4WAtwQFnoECBUQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nationalgrid.co.uk%2Fdownloads%2F3773&usg=AOvVaw2PgLYl_HnPK426p8dTqCHs

Edited by Blooda

1 hour ago, crispy_wafer said:

Seems like good money for a weeks work, if the land was all mine no issues with neighbouring land or local authorities land, then I'd be pricing up the ducting/materials from a civils supplier and digger hire for a week or 2 and certainly consider doing it myself.  Is the terrain particularly difficult to work with?  Would it be a pain in the arse job?

The trench is on a neighbouring farmers land on way leave and specifies minimum trench depth of 1.2m. Also it needs to made good for the former afterwards to prevent any crop loss. 

1 hour ago, jayc89 said:

It's a fair distance. IIRC, I was quoted around £1,500 to run approx 30m of 32mm MDPE, which I managed to do myself in a couple of days (and it was my first rodeo)

How handy are you with a digger? Save yourself 10k and do it yourself.

The tricky bit would be the trench and main road junction and connecting to the mains water and electricity outlets! 

The quote doesn't suggest they'll be connecting to any supply, just running to the boundary hedge. Typically, the utility companies will come and make the final connection (which also costs money)

And they will request a hole of a certain size to make the connection.

I would also check with the gas company that the spec proposed for the gas duct is correct.

effectively check all the suppliers and their own underground requirements