Roofing questions for the brave!

Pocster

OK!

Next set of pics!

I realise I'm almost creating a blog here; but it means any of you guys can pick up on any mistakes and I sure hope someone else who hasn't got a clue doing a roof will find this useful in the future.

So!. I got my first 2 battons on (not fixed properly yet) . tile over hangs by just about 50mm into what would be gutter.

Batton over hangs too much at verge because I wanted the other end to land on a truss and not be in thin air. So I'll cut them back allowing for 15mm fascia and 50mm for the plastic verge clip things.

You can probably see my little flags at the apex B|; this was so I had a target to fire my laser measure at from the 2nd batton. I thought I was being clever! :ph34r:

The distance from 2nd batton to apex target is 3.93m

SO!

minus 30mm from apex gives 363cm

363/26.7 (tile length) = 13.5

13.5 rounded up is 14; so 14 rows of battons

363/14 = 25.92cm

So I *assume* my distance between battons is now 25.92cm

If someone could just check my logic/math would be great!

Oh yes!. I called proctor group technical support regarding the "too lap or not not" at the ridge. They said breathable membrane, so whether roof cold or warm doesn't matter LAP!

Oh yes the photo's of fun!!! ....... 

IMG_5912.JPG

IMG_5913.JPG

IMG_5914.JPG

IMG_5915.JPG

Edited by pocster

No no no no no ..!!!

Subtract the minimum head lap (usually 75mm) from the tile length and then divide the gap plus lap by that.

So in your case it's 

Tile (267)-75 = 192

gap plus lap = 3630 + 75 = 3705

That's 19.2 rows

up to 20, pitch becoming 185mm

make sense ..??

Don't forget to keep checking your distances from the top as you go up. 

Use a chalk line to strike a line from side to side to give you a straight line to set the batten to.

A hammer stapler will make your life a lot easier and quicker for putting the felt on. 

15 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Don't forget to keep checking your distances from the top as you go up. 

Use a chalk line to strike a line from side to side to give you a straight line to set the batten to.

A hammer stapler will make your life a lot easier and quicker for putting the felt on. 

Yeah that's why I've got my laser and targets to check as I go ; so I do t drift .

19 hours ago, PeterW said:

No no no no no ..!!!

Subtract the minimum head lap (usually 75mm) from the tile length and then divide the gap plus lap by that.

So in your case it's 

Tile (267)-75 = 192

gap plus lap = 3630 + 75 = 3705

That's 19.2 rows

up to 20, pitch becoming 185mm

make sense ..??

Erm! :|

Post first do actual work later!!!

OK!; right (I would of checked my figures *honesty* before doing anything)

My tile length is actually 420mm

So!

Max gauge is 345mm

Distance from 2nd batton to apex - 30 = 3900

11 rows

3900/11= 354.55

420-354.55 = 65.45

Overlap 65.45

Guage = 354.55

This seems correct!!!???

Ok; 

At the ends of the verge as the batton isn't long enough is there a standard amount min the batton should be for that small section?

Photo's make it clearer.

On the 1st row it's a short run; I wasn't so happy with the same on the 2nd row so cut the full length batton back; so the extra bit had 3 fixings; this good practise ??

IMG_5917.JPG

IMG_5918.JPG

Batten must go over 3 rafters unless it's a valley or hip and you can do two at the top. 

Tile guage is set by the manufacturer - they look like either Marley Modern or Sandtoft Calderdales.  If so, put the details into this and it will tell you your spec for the tile fix and the minimum headlap. 

https://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Resources/Technical-services/TileFix.aspx

From memory, 75mm is the minimum head lap on those tiles - you also need to nail every tile ideally but not too tight. 

My tile length is actually 420mm

So!

Max gauge is 345mm

Min lap 75mm

Distance from 2nd batton to apex - 30 = 3900

12 rows

3900/12= 325

420-325 = 95

Overlap 95

Guage = 325

Now this is correct!!! - please check! yes Marley modern tiles

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Looks ok - are you making a gauge block to set the battens or measuring it from a top batten ..??

If it's a block don't forget to deduct the depth off the batten ..!

:D got there in the end.

Notice in my first post on this I actually made a typo dimension error!! - that didn't help anyone including me.

Yes will make a measuring batton; and yes will take batton depth off that.

Also will change that first batton short end to fix to 3 trusses .

Magic help! - thank-you!!

Get ready for the next instalment!! O.o

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

And what are you nailing those battens on with ...??

O.o AH!

I think I';ve accidentally been using the tile clout nails...... erm; does it matter? - perhaps I should swap to the correct nails ...... 

What I have supplied doesn't seem to match the invoice...

I have:

50mm clout nails (think I've been using these for everything!!); assume really they are for fixing the tiles though

35mm clout nails (guess they should of been for the felt??)

65mm round wire galvanised nail - these should of been for the battens ...

Edited by pocster

OK! Next instalment.

I have like a decorators step (the metal thing) and I planned to 'hook' OSB over battons so I could 'walk up' the roof. I'm poop scared of heights and need to take a few pairs of boxers to do this. This is as far as I got O.o (stop laughing!)

The problem is I think is the metal step thing it's just too ropey to use at this height whilst it's on scaffold boards. So! ; any suggestions of a nice and safe way to go from scaffold boards onto the OSB walk way (assuming the OSB idea is good also).

I could make some wooden steps with a hand rail and bolt them to the scaffold boards. I know it's overkill - but better to be safe than sorry - I only need to fall/slip once.... :o

The 'easier' issue is these verge end plastic things. They have a big 'L' inside them; so even I assume that means left. But no matter which way I put them they don't seem to fit!! :o

Any help always appreciated!

IMG_5924.JPG

IMG_5925.JPG

IMG_5926.JPG

IMG_5927.JPG

IMG_5928.JPG

IMG_5930.JPG

IMG_5931.JPG

IMG_5932.JPG

IMG_5933.JPG

Actually I might build some steps that take me to the correct height. I'm currently on trestles 4 boards wide; so the 'platform' could be almost that width too. Could put a handrail down the side and the 'front'. This sounds like a plan. Not 100% sure about walking on the OSB as 'flat' as it is so could make a long strip and add batten on the upper side to act as crude steps. Certainly can't find anything online that's similar to this.

It's a good plan yes? O.o

Edited by pocster

5 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

The whole point of graded batten is to use as a ladder. Give it an hour you'll get a feel for it

Yeah I know. I think once I have safe access onto and off the roof I might feel a bit better.

But I can just see me putting my foot in the wrong place and ripping the membrane.

Also it's me on my own - can't see how I can get tiles up there easy with this method (apart from 1 at a time!). I know a roofer would just grab 5 and walk up it no issues - but he's a roofer. Access steps first I think!

Finish the batten work on the roof of first. Once your up there you will get the knack of walking on it very quickly. a You won't put your foot throughout the membrane unless you try to ballet dance on it.

Take last 2 trestles of your run and put them on top of your ones that are left. Depending on heights you might need to take the tops of to get them level with your roof. Load out the higher area with osb and tiles when the time comes and do the roof in sections.

Move your scaffold further along then once you are finished the first section.

• Like 1