DPM on mortar

LSB

Our DPM has been laid on a bed of mortar on blocks.

This was done Mon / Tue and was left with loose blocks on top to weigh it down.

But, the DPM hasn't adhered at all to the mortar, should it or will the weight of the walls just hold it in place and keep the walls stable.

See below how it looks when we took the block weighing it off.

It's the same all along

Standard 5:1 mortar

image.jpeg.7c6f2f5a1c811325f3b6aeb957959d06.jpeg

I’d always lay it on thin skim bed,just in case there are any small extrusions from the masonry below which could potentially puncture it. Bits of glass & other sharps are often to be found in blocks these days;my second income as a hand stunt double is largely restricted to horror movies these days. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, LSB said:

Our DPM has been laid on a bed of mortar on blocks.

That's normal and is required by NHBC. They also require a bed of mortar on top of the DPC if the building is over 3 stories high. Personally I always do both.

More at https://nhbc-standards.co.uk/6-superstructure-excluding-roofs/6-1-external-masonry-walls/6-1-17-dpcs-and-cavity-trays/

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's normal and is required by NHBC. They also require a bed of mortar on top of the DPC if the building is over 3 stories high. Personally I always do both.

More at https://nhbc-standards.co.uk/6-superstructure-excluding-roofs/6-1-external-masonry-walls/6-1-17-dpcs-and-cavity-trays/

our build is single story, but we are also planning to put mortar on top of the DPC

We were just surprised that it was didn't take at all.

Well, now we can carry onwards and upwards.