Clay pipe coming out foundation

gOBO81

Whilst digging a trial pit today for our structural engineer, for proposed extension works, I hit and cracked a clay pipe coming out through our foundations. I guess that's what those concrete blocks I removed prior were warning me of.

As I exposed more of the pipe I uncovered a "joint" where the pipe was merely butted up against another section of pipe, and misaligned. This led me to believe this isn't a fluid carrying pipe and maybe just a duct.

To double check I flushed all the toilets and emptied a bath to check for the sound or vibration of water flow - nothing. As the pipe was quite badly damaged and needed repair regardless, if in use, I broke off a section to inspect it internally. The pipe was choked full of silt/mud and felt like it may even have been blocked with cement as i poked back into the direction of the foundation. With the absence of a cable or pipe inside it doesn't appear to be a duct either.

Inspecting under the floor inside the house there is a soil pipe that heads vertically down through the solum near where I would expect a pipe to be if it were the same pipe, but it's about 4ft away along the foundation. The connected toilets would have long since backed up if it were the same pipe.

Feeling fairly confident the pipe is not in use I backfilled the hole.

Now, it's obviously still bugging me a bit. Is it common to come across pipes that may have been abandoned and what about it being "joined" by merely butting up to another section of pipe?

CheersIMG_20230516_163141.thumb.jpg.10b146fbd7889a2562e3eeddee45989a.jpg

Definitely appears to be long since silted up but with the state of that butt joint I don't suspect that would have taken too long, in any case.

It doesn't appear to be connected to any downpipe, at least not at the rear of the property where it exits the foundation. That's not to say it couldn't be serving downpipes at the front of the property and the pipe travels under the house from front to back, but wouldn't that be odd - to run the pipe under the property?

It's fairly secluded property built on the grounds of an 1800s coal miners estate. I believe there used to be three tennis courts here at one point, so maybe an old land drain that was discovered while laying foundations and they've built over it.

I guess i'll take a hose pipe to the front of the property and aim it down a downpipe there. If it backs up that could be it, otherwise who knows....

Maybe 

Thanks fellas, puts my mind fully at ease now. I dare say I'll uncover more of these as works progress over the next couple of years. At least now i know.

3 hours ago, Crunchynut said:

Sometimes they are horse shoe shaped. I just pulled them out and carried on.

It is a bit of an odd shape i.e. not completely round. Appears to have a flat bottom.

IMG_20230516_205446.jpg

Seeing as it definitely is a land drain, even though it may be silted-up, might it not still be active after heavy rain? We had a whole series of these that were cut through when digging the foundations for an extension. The trenches filled in no time after rain - just before the concrete pour.

You can just see the broken pieces in a loose diagonal line:

20181124_130723.thumb.jpg.4df6eb8505d5810d75ab332be20a5d42.jpg

To stop this flooding our foundations and patio we dug a french drain and connected it to the land drains, and drained the whole lot along with the regular rain water.

2 hours ago, Crunchynut said:

They knew a thing or two in times gone by …..

I dug out a 1770 George III halfpenny piece right next to one of the pipes which dates it quite well. Considering their age and the fact they are still working, I really can't fault them.