1st idea from architects - feedback welcomed!

59 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

be surprised if you dont get pushback from planning as its massive compared to either side, sticks out like a sore thumb.

Yes, my thought too. I think if the plot is big enough, you could make it narrower and shorter, but still achieve what you want by using more space from the back garden. The TV room and utility or plant room could also go in a basement.

Stay away from basements - expensive to build and hard to build properly.

I agree that the house is too big - it should be single storey and it should use the topographical the site more.

On 15/05/2023 at 12:22, Beechgate said:

who hope to have children once we're moved into the new home. We want something that can be our family home for the next 20+ years

too lazy and didn't read any of the previous comments but had a quick look at your plans and if the above is true then why have you given your children narrow small bedrooms? they don't stay young and small for long and will eventually need desks for school work and having mates round etc. doesn't seem like your architect has given any thought to them growing and expanding. Also, it's very expensive to get on the housing ladder these days so your kids might stay at home well in to adulthood. not sure a 2.5m x 3.9m bedroom would cut it! and, finally, why is the guest room bigger than the kids rooms? for a room that won't get used much it's a real waste of space in our opinion. we didn't build a guest room and only made 3 bedrooms. our kids rooms are 4m x 4m so they can grow in them. if we have guests then we have a room above the garage that can have a sofa bed. or a sofa bed in the TV room. or they can stay at a local Travelodge. 

have now read most of the comments and @ETC's first floor layout with no guest room and bigger equal sized kids rooms is much better and very reminiscent of our layout! 🙂 

but, like @SteamyTea, I don't normally like to comment on other people's designs as it's very personal and what suits one person may not suit another. so, just go with what you want. 😉 

1 minute ago, Thorfun said:

bigger equal sized kids rooms is much better and very reminiscent of

Being at boarding school.

13 other 'young men' all going though puberty.

For years I thought all bedrooms smelt of PU adhesive.

• Haha 1