Recommendation/support for build system

Hi,

We have a few quotes for ICF build, looking at Jackon and Nudura as the architect has a bit of experience with both.

We're based in Kingston, KT2.

Any advice gratefully received, especially in terms of their financial position.

Thanks 

Matt

Hi Freshy,

Thanks for response.

Busy weekend, haven't decided yet.    Would love to do diy, would it be doable with 2 people.   Would it be best to let them do the first 2 courses and then takeover if want to diy.   

Have been getting a few quotes for superstructure, materials and labour.   

Thanks 

Matt

I'm going to be going Nudura on a DIY basis for a 3000 sq.ft house and garage (and SW distributor looks secure from companies house checks). Had looked at Durisol and Isotex earlier but like the size of the 8 foot x 18 inches Nudura blocks.

Currently looking at UniBlock/Polarwall/Nudura having had to move from ISOTEX. Engineer myself so doing trade studies across all options. Also making sure I can pay on card for the protection (one bitten twice shy!)

Pros and cons for all of them as you’d expect…

UniBlock come pre-cut along with inserts for openings so it really is just an assembly job for the most part. 3m theoretical max pour height thanks to it being metal not plastic webbing.

But minimum insulation thickness is 75mm so minimum wall thickness is 270mm (which for internal walls means doing your own shuttering realistically but if doing large homes then a few 10s of mm may not matter. Matters for us as we have some tight dimensions. Apparently a few previous Nudura developers have moved to this system (May just be sales pitch talk..)

Polarwall has a slightly different system but all cut on site, so more work in that regard. But installing floors etc that much easier as you replace the insulation board with timber.

Very modular system, 50mm all the way up to 180/200mm insulation. Need to ask if they can precut to make life easier on site.

Not had hands on with Nudura yet.

Quotes for 300sq.m broadly similar.

Edited by BristolBuild2020

On 21/05/2023 at 08:57, BristolBuild2020 said:

"Also making sure I can pay on card for the protection (one bitten twice shy!)"

Thats a good idea, and one that I never thought of myself for some reason.

Have you experienced many building supply companies refuse credit card payment?

2 hours ago, Annker said:

Have you experienced many building supply companies refuse credit card payment?

The commission taken by the card company is significant, so the supplier might want to add a percentage. 

I also wonder if the card companies might decline the business due to the high risk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

the card companies might decline the business due to the high risk

Someone here once suggested paying just a minimum deposit that made the card company liable. I'm sure they would not accept a multi thousand pound risk for a £200 sale.

With a contracting business turning over £3M we never had our bank suggesting we take card payments. So I expect it is policy not to sign up contractors.

Yet at TS (or was it SF?) they sell card readers to anyone.....I should read the small print as I am confident there will be a liability exclusion.

6 hours ago, saveasteading said:

The commission taken by the card company is significant, so the supplier might want to add a percentage. 

I also wonder if the card companies might decline the business due to the high risk.

I've just taken delivery of my PolySteel ICF, they would not / do not take card due to costs. Had to pay by bank transfer 😕. Was a twitchy 8 days. Not a great sum, but would have sunk us if they went bump.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2023 at 19:54, Jenki said:

I've just taken delivery of my PolySteel ICF, they would not / do not take card due to costs. Had to pay by bank transfer 😕. Was a twitchy 8 days. Not a great sum, but would have sunk us if they went bump.

Yeah I know how you feel, having been caught by insulhub I was very nervous of paying by bank transfer, the boss at Beco let me pay a deposit with the balance on delivery so that was a little more comfortable. 

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with any of the mentioned ICF systems, look at who your buying from and what on site support they offer if DIY’ing or if hiring an installer ask him what system he is familiar with and what he prefers to install 

some products have products available that help you build with various accessories and others just have block and nothing more - for a DIY you want support and a vast array of products