Recent stone patio not draining

Hi everyone

I've recently got my garden done and had a patio build with granite-like tiles. They have a slight texture to them and were laid down on a 2.5mX4.5m area with about 4/5mm grouting between them. They were placed in a parallel layout and the slope is supposedly leading the water towards an artificial grass patch.

I've thrown water directly into the patch and even bush some with a broom and have seen the water go down nicely to an underground draining pipe the landscaping company placed, but I've noticed in some areas I have about 3/4mm of water sitting when it rains. I don't see the water actually flowing downwards.

With a proper patio slope, should I see the water flowing down the slope? Or, is it normal to have 3/4mm of water sitting on sloped patio like THIS? Is there any test I can make to see if the slope is working?

Thanks 

1 minute ago, Carrerahill said:

Several things, although there is, you suspect, a fall on the patio the tiles might not be dead flat, especially if they are trying to mimic a granite look/texture, so a lower spot with the texture will trap water. 

How would I be able to test this slope? If I throw a bucket of water on the floor should I see anything giving me the indication the slope is working?

4 minutes ago, amilio said:

How would I be able to test this slope? If I throw a bucket of water on the floor should I see anything giving me the indication the slope is working?

Well yes, the water would run away.

Use a spirit level or long straight edge to see how flat the tiles are, it also just takes one to be slightly lower and you are going to have a puddle. 

We have textured slabs and the low spots have small puddles, even though there is a continuous slope away from the house. If I wanted every last drop to drain away the slope would be pretty big.

To check you need a spirit level - a nice long one.

• 3 weeks later...

A Spirit level is great for simple slopes on planes, but not so easy on complex shapes.

For the latter I recommend a golf ball, released from multiple positions. It will indicate the route of water, and often demonstrate a low point, or an area of concentrated flow.

If the slope is very slight, then let the ball bounce at first.

There it goes,  one of my trade secrets released for the greater good.