Glazing as Guarding: a piece of 4 by 2, or a blizzard of emails?

My view is that I know more about some things than does the bco. Also if I am the designer and/or builder then I already know why it complies, and so I can readily demonstrate the fact.

My job to make it easy for the bfo if requested.

If I don't like a regulation then I have to demonstrate why it is unreasonable or that I have an alternative solution.

Most regulations are for good reasons.

If in doubt , go back to the green clauses in the English regs.

Treating the bco as a fool is morally bad, and could rebound, whichever of these matters more to the individual trying to trick or fool the bco....and endanger future users.

5 hours ago, ETC said:

Screwing a piece of plywood to act as guarding and then removing after receiving the Completion Certificate is not only immoral but potentially dangerous. ...

The BCO himself agreed with me that if I did as suggested above - fit and later remove - was fine: he had fulfilled his duty. He did not encourage me or condone removal.

He then, with a knowing grin,  also said that that was exactly why  Grand Designs generates such howls of derision from most builders. How many non-compliany staicases are featured on that program ?

This sounds like the "argument" I had with BCO about our stove.  I had showed him the instruction manual for the stove showing the "distances to combustibles" but he still went away and then asked for proof.  I ended up sending a copy of the whole PDF manual and a screen grab of the one table that showed the distance required then a photograph with a tap measure showing the gap we had was comfortably larger than the minimum required.

It seems they want everything spoon fed to them in words of one syllable?

47 minutes ago, ProDave said:

seems they want everything spoon fed to them in words of one syllable?

I repeat my argument. You understand it as you have done extensive research. Theh have not. Thus you can make it easy for them, and I can't see why that is upsetting.