Inverter confusion

Pocster

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Prison , humiliation , shame - I can’t bare those ! 

You are just a lowly home owner sold something by a bogus renewables company that then disappeared!

My attitude here, as with many things like this, is that if you install the second PW, and configure it to sit within your current G98/G99Export Limitation, then who cares, you know it will be fine, the issue is the DNO just doesn't trust people with extra capacity in case it gets configured incorrectly. There is a potential in their eyes for it to exceed permissible export and cause higher voltage on local LV network (only you + neighbour?), and they would be right, but they need to start being more forward thinking about this because it's the future and if local government (particularly the greenies) got wind of this sort of setback to well meaning homeowners I think you could ruffle some feathers and maybe even invoke change.

Another gripe of mine is not having net metering in UK (although I think it might be coming for small scale). It should be that I use a kWh, my meter rolls on, I generate, it rolls back. Fair, you scrap all the systems and offices for SEG and disband the lot, make life simple. We pay a standing charge which is meant to cover transmission costs so why they need to rip people off by paying 10-20% of market value for generated electricity is frankly just theft. 

15 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

so why they need to rip people off by paying 10-20% of market value for generated electricity is frankly just theft. 

Because there is the wholesale market and the retail market.

You would not expect Tesco to buy your home grown runner beans off you at the retail price.

It is really the price of export you have a gripe with, as do I.

Edited by SteamyTea

43 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

You are just a lowly home owner sold something by a bogus renewables company that then disappeared!

My attitude here, as with many things like this, is that if you install the second PW, and configure it to sit within your current G98/G99Export Limitation, then who cares, you know it will be fine, the issue is the DNO just doesn't trust people with extra capacity in case it gets configured incorrectly. There is a potential in their eyes for it to exceed permissible export and cause higher voltage on local LV network (only you + neighbour?), and they would be right, but they need to start being more forward thinking about this because it's the future and if local government (particularly the greenies) got wind of this sort of setback to well meaning homeowners I think you could ruffle some feathers and maybe even invoke change.

Another gripe of mine is not having net metering in UK (although I think it might be coming for small scale). It should be that I use a kWh, my meter rolls on, I generate, it rolls back. Fair, you scrap all the systems and offices for SEG and disband the lot, make life simple. We pay a standing charge which is meant to cover transmission costs so why they need to rip people off by paying 10-20% of market value for generated electricity is frankly just theft. 

I know .

if I stuck another pw on there ; no one would know and nothing bad would happen ….

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Because there is the wholesale market and the retail market.

You would not expect Tesco to buy your home grown runner beans off you at the retail price.

It is really the price of export you have a gripe with, as do I.

You are right, when broken down that is where my gripe is. The whole industry is just a corrupt mess. If they offer me 5p kWh (I know higher is available from some) then I feel truly ripped off if my utility co. then charge me 50p. If the argument is that they pay wholesale, then we need to be asking why between purchase from me and sale they generate, between them, a 900% mark-up. 

However, I don't think wholesale/retail pricing should come into it, a unit in or a unit out. It all balances out. US, parts of Canada, Denmark etc. have net meeting (usually up to a max figure but from what I have read it is always well above any domestic installation). 

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

I know .

if I stuck another pw on there ; no one would know and nothing bad would happen ….

There's always a delay while a G100 inverter load matches.  It's a second or so, maybe there's a standard out there somewhere.  Anyway; if you had loads of G100 inverters at home set to 0A export and turned off a big house load (lets say 100A!), there will be a short duration 100A export causing overvoltage of the grid. 

Where we are the grid voltage is set "high", so that people can pull more current than they can push in, and it just about stays within bounds.  There's not a lot of leeway - it gets to 250V here when it's sunny.

(Don't know if above is why they care, just a guess) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pocster said:

Yeah I’ve tried getting the installer to go with me . I did consider a complaint - though of course DNO might win . A dc battery zero hassle and cheaper I guess .

I wasnt suggesting that you get your installer involved with the DNO but just to get a second opinion that what you want to do is ok. Armed with confidence that there's no reason to object then formalise the complaint. It doesn't cost anything to complain to the energy regulator so even if you "lose" youll be exactly where you are now

If youre happy to go with an SE battery then discussion over the Powerwall is academic. It's £7k ish for an SE 10kwh battery vs £10k? for a 14kwh? Powerwall. I have an inkling that a Powerwall has to be installed by a Tesla installer so there's mandatory install costs with the PW 

9 minutes ago, S2D2 said:

Best day of generation so far here too, 32kWh and counting. May's utilities bill (gas + elec inc. standing orders) is currently sat at -£2.85 👍

Awesome isn’t it . Others ( people without PV and/or battery ) don’t get the thrill of generating YOUR own power and being superior to them ( like an iPhone user to an android / pleb user ) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1