Neighbours retiled their roof on our terrace, used a bonding gutter but haven't bedded our tiles edges in mortar.

DaveAF

Hello

We live in a 1930s terraced house. Our new neighbours just retiled their roof and the roofers used a bonding gutter where the roofs tiles meet. They have left a 3 inch space between the 2 roofs and tiles on both roofs are kicking up where they sit on the bonding gutter.

I'm concerned about water getting under the raised up tile edges on our side because we do not have felt under our tiles and the roofers haven't bedded our edge tiles in mortar. 

See the 2 attached pictures. Our roof is the orange tile. 

Do I have anything to worry about? 

All thoughts welcome. 

Regards

David 

20230429_185950.jpg

20230429_170605.jpg

The neighbours new roof is going to leak. That cut tile nearest the guttering is tipping up to the point that any water ingress is never going to reach the gutter. The neighbours new roof does not look like it has been done by a propper roofer. More like somebody chancing it. I am not a roofer, so i dont know if your tiles should have been mucked in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Installation instructions.. See cross section bottom right of last page. There shouldn't even be a gap..

https://www.europeanplastics.co.uk/_files/ugd/a1adc3_ae879888910049cb93079fa54eb2232b.pdf?index=true

The sanded strip down the middle is to provide a key for the mortar to stick to.

european-plastics-grp-bonding-gutter-3m-valleys-bonding-gutters-european-plastics-717388_600x.progressive.jpg

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every third row should be nailed so in high winds you don't say goodbye to all your tiles. I agree with Big Jimbo that's not been done by a real roofer and as you've stated you don't have felt underneath your roof you going to come into trouble there.

They should of bedded the last tiles, im not a roofer by trade but have been around enough building work to see that's not right.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

The neighbours new roof is going to leak. That cut tile nearest the guttering is tipping up to the point that any water ingress is never going to reach the gutter. The neighbours new roof does not look like it has been done by a propper roofer. More like somebody chancing it. I am not a roofer, so i dont know if your tiles should have been mucked in.

My thoughts exactly. I challenged the builders on Saturday morning about the roof and they all pretended not to speak english. I couldnt believe it. Crooks. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Temp said:

Installation instructions.. See cross section bottom right of last page. There shouldn't even be a gap..

https://www.europeanplastics.co.uk/_files/ugd/a1adc3_ae879888910049cb93079fa54eb2232b.pdf?index=true

The sanded strip down the middle is to provide a key for the mortar to stick to.

european-plastics-grp-bonding-gutter-3m-valleys-bonding-gutters-european-plastics-717388_600x.progressive.jpg

Yeah as I feared its a total cowboy job. They've even cut tiles in half on both roofs.