External armoured cable depth

TANK

Hey guys

hope it's all good posting this one here... 

I'm intending to feed in electrics to the outbuilding from the house - the distance between (the corner of) house and said outbuilding is roughly 2.5m. it will come down the wall, then through the 2.5m trench under a new patio I'm putting in, to the OB. 

The question I have is, will the patio serve as part of the 450mm minimum depth requirement? 

The trench at present is about 250mm, so with the patio on top or should kep more or less get there. Is this acceptable or a 'cheat'? 

cheers in advance.. 

As I understand it it is from the finished surface so you should be OK. Make sure you put the warning tape at the correct level above the cable, at higher levels as well, so directly beneath the slab if like and put it in ducting if you have some.  If you are in Kent I can let you have a length as I have a bit left over. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that Mike. No I'm miles away in Herefordshire and already have some ducting but thanks anyway. 

I prob should have mentioned that I can't fit the trench deeper due to drains further down... 

21 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Said it can be surface mounted.

Yes, had my electrician on site a few days ago on this precise issue. He said the same. Either 450mm down or surface mounted (even just above the soil level) but not in between.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies guys. 

Thanks to all this lovely weather I've managed to put in my concrete flooring  in the OB and have further excavated the trench to increase the depth and width and better facilitate the plumbing and cabling. Annoyingly the drain sits in an awkward position, right on the corner of the house at odds to the angle of my patio, and also slightly obstructing this trench. 

I'm not sure I can get a sparky in for a few weeks, but don't really want to leave the trench open like this for too long as I'm thinking it leaves the house foundation partially exposed and the trench walls will dry out and start crumbling... 

so I'm wondering - Am i ok in being proactive by running in a length of armoured cable (I'm assuming 2.5mm will suffice?), concreting over the top of it, then safety tape, and completing the trench work (I still need to find a solution to tie in the drainage) before the sparky attends? Or would they want to see in the cable themselves? 

I'd like to attach photos to illustrate what is what but can't. When I click 'add files' nothing happens. any ideas? 

Put a 50mm duct in, let’s you backfill and electrician can pull duct through later?

some electricians may not sign off work that they can’t see so may not be keen on you running cables

What electrical equipment will you be using in the outbuilding?

• Like 1

Thanks Tony. That's a good idea. 

It will be basic power tools, a smallish chest freezer, maybe a fan for occasional use (for gym work). Possibly a tv at some point.. 

96CB1A53-0EDA-4F1D-96AE-BC9A76F50175.jpeg

Edited by TANK
Managed to upload a photo