More Octopus ASHP questions.

I have upgraded the 3 radiators that Octopus specified myself and they are coming back to check. I have also requested that they install the pump outside our conservatory/boot room instead of below the window of our ground floor bedroom. Pipe work will be almost identical and power supply cable 10 metres less. I have also requested that they install a horizontal cylinder in the in the conservatory/boot room in place of their proposed bedroom wardrobe. The later will will cause the loss of valuable storage space and generate additional heat into a bedroom that is already extremely hot during the summer months. Octopus have so far said that they do not have access to a horizontal cylinder in their kit of parts . Another survey is to be arranged and I have offered to source a horizontal cylinder if they are unable to acquire one, there are several suitable ones on the market.

I could source a cylinder with 2 or even 3 immersion heaters and would like to continue to use our Solar IBoost, ie surplus solar and off peak grid, and legionnaires control.

Would that work?

Would that impact on the pump functions?

Would there be any issues if the pump was not required to operate for say, 5/6 months of the year?  We currently run the house via Solar (plus batteries) and off peak for circa 6 months

The attached image is for a Seconrenewables trade Horizontal ASHP 200L cylinder which would fit our space. Our existing cylinder is 210L and more than adequate so capacity would be fine.  It has 2 x immersion heaters so I am hoping it would allow me to connect my existing PV Solar IBoost.   ie one heater to surplus solar and one heater to off peak grid.    1. Would that cause any problems with the functions of the pump? Presumably the IBoost would take care of the legionnaire cycle. I want to present this option to Octopus when they come back to do a second survey

secon-trade-horizontal-cylinders-8191-p.png

3 minutes ago, lakelandfolk said:

The attached image is for a Seconrenewables trade Horizontal ASHP 200L cylinder which would fit our space. Our existing cylinder is 210L and more than adequate so capacity would be fine.  It has 2 x immersion heaters so I am hoping it would allow me to connect my existing PV Solar IBoost.

The water from an ASHP is usually heated to a lower temperature, so while a 210L tank heated from a boiler may be adequate, a 200L tank heated to a lower temperature from an ASHP might not be.

Top mounted immersion heaters are a poor relation, as another recent thread has shown.  Is there no way you can get a vertical tank in?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lakelandfolk said:

It has 2 x immersion heaters so I am hoping it would allow me to connect my existing PV Solar IBoost.   ie one heater to surplus solar and one heater to off peak grid.    1. Would that cause any problems with the functions of the pump? Presumably the IBoost would take care of the legionnaire cycle.

It will be more efficient to heat the water with the HP while the temp is low enough. You might need to arrange a timer and/or a tank stat so that you close the valve from the HP to the coil and switch on the iBoost or off-peak when the tank gets as hot as the HP can achieve. This will also overcome @ProDave's objection as the water will still get as hot as it used to.

Gledhill have an enormous range of tanks in lots of configurations and IIRC will also make specials to order.

• Like 1

I have a Solar iBoost that connects to the single emersion heater which heats the water to 60C+ on a sunny day. The legionella functions in the ASHP are disabled and there in no connection from the ASHP to the DHW immersion heater. 

• Like 1

On 28/04/2023 at 17:23, lakelandfolk said:

Does anyone manufacture a vertical with 2 x immersion bosses?

I think theres a few that do bespoke cylinders and you can have more or less what you want where you want so coils/tappings/connections can be put where you need them for the space/piping/accessibility youve got. Have a good think what you need, tell them and they'll lead you on the design. We used a copper cylinder manufacturer in Newark who were good.

• Like 1