Solutions for enclosing onto Party Wall where guttering is encroaching over the mid point

hello all, we're doing a mid-terrace side return extension and have some items to figure out with our neighbour (who we're on good terms with) regarding how we enclose onto the existing Party Wall they built a few years ago (before we bought) - looking for suggestions for how to handle some of these build issues.

For context, our neighbour's side return was partial (they didn't want to loose the window on the back room) - it doesn't circle all the way back to the rear of the house - I'll include a sketch to make that clear.

1) There is a parapet at the top of the Party Wall, but it's not the full width of the cavity wall - it's offset a little - and our neighbour's gutter sits slightly on the the Party Wall, which it shouldn't really do. For context, our terraces are relatively small - ~4.6m wide - so kind of a case of 'every centimetre counts' when thinking about our new structure, and it potentially has some implications for our build.

2) They've got the gutter formed of lead, which is continuous with the lead flashing going over the parapet, and falling both towards front and back. i.e. Some water falls to the garden proper, and some to the mini courtyard that is shown on the diagram attached.

3) Because of the fact that the gutter is on the Party Wall line, the hopper on the top of the diagram is ever so slightly encroaching. The gutter to the bottom of the diagram is too actually... 

--

I believe that they should not have built the gutter on the Party Wall, but it's there now.. I'd like to figure out a solution that involves the least change possible but without actually restricting the width for us - of course we could just build another brick course in, and be done with it - but as mentioned, that space is pretty premium!

Opinions very welcome. Thanks in advance

IMG_6566.thumb.jpg.5d4984137b1e8506fe21d8554ed70ef5.jpgIMG_6568.thumb.jpg.4b363d7d9a1841120d9d9c1c622c1d9b.jpg

2 hours ago, low_and_there said:

of course we could just build another brick course in, and be done with it - but as mentioned, that space is pretty premium!

Might be necessary for Building Regs Part E sound transmission? 

15 hours ago, ETC said:

Flat roof with a slight fall to back and front.

No, this is a pitched roof we're building. Our neighbour is about 80cm below us, and we've agreed - to be neighbourly - to not exceed the height of the parapet that is there (within PD we could've gone higher) so it's a pitched roof. But if we had that height internally we'd have a very very low ceiling. So not an option, but thanks.

13 hours ago, Temp said:

Might be necessary for Building Regs Part E sound transmission? 

No - we've checked, not necessary. Thanks though

13 hours ago, bassanclan said:

Do you want to build to the same height and depth as the neighbour?

Sorry @bassanclan, I may not have understood your question but if by 'depth' you mean how long it is sorta thing, then yes - it's the same depth - the rear walls will be flush. In terms of height, no - his roof is pitched, running into the gutter as described and shown and ours will also be pitched, terminating at the same place - but the highest point on our pitched roof will be higher, as our ground level is higher (we're on a steep hill).

don't follow the question? Our side return will be completely infilled - we won't be leaving the little courtyard they have. If by depth you mean the length of it - yes, it's the same length - the rear walls will line up completly.

If I've understood what you want I would replace the boundary wall at the courtyard with a new wall inline with their parapet wall. Yes I know it means sacrificing 2" or so but sometimes going for the neat and tidy option is best. Especially where waterproofing is involved. This approach would mean all the rafters would be same length an angle. No joggle/step in the gutter. 

Then I would copy their roof but mirrored over and longer to fill in the courtyard area.

Their lead work looks a bit untidy at the ends (?) but the joints on the parapet wall looks neatly done to my eye. Lead flashing and secret gutters are tricky to get right and some builders just can't seem to do it. I would suggest getting a detail drawing done for this area, possibly by a dedicated lead worker? Make sure the builder follows his drawing and has him come back to do the lead work.

• Thanks 1