Partition Wall Construction

richo106

Hi All

I am planning on using metal stud for a couple bedroom and landing partition walls

I was planning on using 70mm stud but the builder has plenty of 50mm stud that he doesn't want and said I could have

My plan was to use the 50mm stud, 2 x 12.5mm soundbloc plasterboards either side with 50mm acoustic insulation in the middle

Would this be suitable?

Many Thanks

Depends what you're trying to achieve. Your spec would exceed building regs (provided you weren't choosing 70mm stud due to the ceiling height / load bearing capacity). However it won't block impact sound - for that you'd need two independent studs - effectively two back-to-back single sided partitions.

4 hours ago, richo106 said:

Hi All

I am planning on using metal stud for a couple bedroom and landing partition walls

I was planning on using 70mm stud but the builder has plenty of 50mm stud that he doesn't want and said I could have

My plan was to use the 50mm stud, 2 x 12.5mm soundbloc plasterboards either side with 50mm acoustic insulation in the middle

Would this be suitable?

Many Thanks

As long as you are no more than 2.5 50 mil will free stand With two layers of PB Don’t forget to stagger each layer Then stagger opposite on the other side 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nod said:

As long as you are no more than 2.5 50 mil will free stand With two layers of PB Don’t forget to stagger each layer Then stagger opposite on the other side 

My first floor is only 2.4m but my ground floor is 2.6m.

I have attached my wall make up

Partition Wall.PNG

2 hours ago, richo106 said:

My first floor is only 2.4m but my ground floor is 2.6m.

I have attached my wall make up

Partition Wall.PNG

You will just about get away with that if you double the studs up They will clip inside each other Fix them together with a pan head screw