Larch or Brick? - a Cladding Dilemma

Now that our frame is up, we have started the exterior cladding work.

Our house is designed as two joined volumes, a larger primary volume, which will be clad in vertical, rain screen larch.  With the smaller secondary volume clad in red brick slips.

We have reached a dilemma around the porch/front door where the two materials meet, and thought we would reach out for wider opinions!

Our porch area is made by having a section of the larger volume removed, and the roof continued to create a shelter external area:

image.png.ecbb118da26485994978f17ff0b08f54.png

The architects have shown the internal faces of the roof wood clad, along with the wall above the landing window/front door.

image.png.c76d5432cd58480394f586f002da4b9e.png

Our dilemma is that this is actually the same wall/elevation as the brick section of wall on the right, due to it being set back.

So our thoughts are to:

1 - Clad this area in wood, and have a join between wood and brick sitting to the right of the front door in the 'middle' of the wall
2 - Continue the brick onto this face and have the wood / brick join at the corner of the walls to the left of the front door, but this would mean having brick cladding up the gable of the larger volume beyond where the smaller gable would exist

3 - Combine the two claddings on the wall, following the roofline of the brick clad gable through into the porch, and fill the gap above with wood from the larger gable

Please cast your votes and share opinions :) 

image.png.ebc12094d215c5fb0e9717f2b9225f3c.pngimage.png.a84e8c834abb945f43b1bd80df8ff462.pngimage.png.6257d3f1dd5b17605ad495e51e1480c9.png

image.png

Edited by deancatherine09
remove pic

8 minutes ago, deancatherine09 said:

1 - Clad this area in wood, and have a join between wood and brick sitting to the right of the front door in the 'middle' of the wall

This for me.

On 17/04/2023 at 20:13, joe90 said:

You won’t like my cottage then 🤷‍♂️

I think we said the same answer? Number 1 right?

if it looks like 3 then I probably won’t like it lol sorry.

op I do get the issue. I might be tempted to move the plane of the wood wall forwards just a smidge so the face isn’t in line with the brick gable. Then it would be the more dominant block instead of a bit of a merge.

Edited by Papillon

On 16/04/2023 at 17:04, Gone West said:

+1

I’m with this. Some materials blend nicely together some don’t and I don’t think this does.

I’d have a go at colouring it in as that will change the look at lot and help you decide. 

Definitely clad all of the left volume and recessed porch in wood if it were me.  The other two options don't look quite right in my opinion.  I think design wise having wood in all of the left structure/volume including the recessed covered area will look stunning. And I really like how the brick on the right hand side would be split by the roof line of the left volume.  I think if you did go ahead with the wood, having it recessed looks really good.  We have it in our own porch albeit on a tiny scale (attached pic of ours - you may have to zoom in to see the recessed porch and ignore the bright yellow door - we were originally going with black cladding but we really love the natural larch wood colour). We have UK larch so is a bit knotty compared to Siberian larch. Your house is a really nice design.

IMG_20230331_162942.jpg

Edited by mattman