Soil pipe fitting compatability

jamiehamy

Getting ready for the final soil test at some point and couldn't get any pressure to hold. I filled the system and put coloured dye down - and identified the issue - see pic. 

I know now ( @Nickfromwales) these fittings are not ideal and I may remove the whole stack and fit a proper boss fitting,  however I'm wondering why the join failed? Not enough solvent, disturbed too early,  or are the grey and brown fittings not compatible? They are both pvc ? 

The other accessible one was the same hence my concern before replacing like for like. I've checked all the remaining solvent weld joins which thankfully are above ground and no issue - but they are all grey or grey or white on white. 

Any thoughts? 

Thank you. 

DSC_2585.JPG

It's all pvc just I seem to recall has different uv stabilisation? We had this discussion on my thread a while back. Different makes here as well as colours:

'Kin hope grey sticks to brown! :)

SAM_5751

I used Polypipe Gap Filling Cement (comes in a toothpaste tube) rather than the normal brush in a tin stuff on the grey to brown after giving all surfaces a v.light sand & cleaning with IPA . Good price this btw:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polypipe-GFC100-Gap-Filling-Cement-/252956334377?hash=item3ae55f5929:g:UiUAAOSw0fhXjjVZ

It was a bit nearer a clearance than a transition fit! It melts the brown without a doubt. I'll admit still worried I backed it up with a smear of CT1 though it passed the hose test:

20170719_225022

The ONLY time I've had a problem with a leaky stack has been with one of those "straps ons". 

Thye do work but you need to get your hole right, abraid it well, clean it well, plenty of solvent and do the nut up darn tight and leave it for 24h before as much as looking at it. 

No no reason not to just re-do the "strap on" just take it steady. Also replace that rubber bung for a solvent weld job too. I used one recently on the outside toilet install and felt cheap and dirty for doing it :) 

Anyway this is just a rank amateur talking, the resident pro @Nickfromwales will be along soon.

4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Down where ? 

Down the soil pipes...! Filled it right up to nearly floor level and the water had to come out one of the three tank sections - found it after leaving it overnight,  got under and could see it.  Def the solvent connection. 

14 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

If it's deffo the solvent joint, and the strap on has a lip all round, how did the dye get on the outlet of the strap on. ?

edit : can you get under there and sort it?

Isn't the lip supposed to go into a suitably sized hole?

Nope. The lip covers the hole, giving some surface area for the solvent to have something to have some contact with. The lip has to be bigger than the hole you made or it'll fall through. The seat, which goes into the hole to centralise the boss is not on view. ;)

They may not be the technical names as I just made those up to make me sound clever ?

I took the whole thing out and replaced it - last chance pretty much. We will always be able to access most underfloor areas but it's not straightforward. Unfortunately I thnk the other one that is currently inaccessible is the same - no idea what's gone wrong - I did a couple of testers before doing them properly - this was about 18months ago before the slab was poured. Maybe I was a bit frugal with the solvent.  Grr... The last one is going to be a ballache however if I have to go under the floor,  I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and do the pipework to have the main bath and shower at floor level... I quite like having it raised but does make bath access a bit tricky. I'll see what the water level is like tmrw night and make a decision.  The remade join is holding nicely as per pic. 

DSC_2596.JPG

• Like 1