Pulsing led spotlight

Thorfun

38 minutes ago, Adrian Walker said:

You might find that the power supply is a very simple circuit with not much more that a bridge rectifier giving a very poor quality DC output. I would take it apart and have a look at the circuit. 

i'd rather send it back to Amazon and get a refund and buy something that works! but i'll exhaust all other avenues before i do that (e.g. add more load, try with other led strips if i can find them in some box somewhere etc)

27 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Why don't you buy your lights from China, but invest in a decent quality power supply? I usually use Meanwell or EldoLED for things like this.

exactly what i was planning! but was probably going to end up with the Loxone PSU rather than a 3rd party one.

2 hours ago, Thorfun said:

exactly what i was planning! but was probably going to end up with the Loxone PSU rather than a 3rd party one.

I always buy lights in U.K. - had some interesting experiences with lights direct from China . Usually can find relatively inexpensive ( but nice looking ) lights here . Easy to return also .

2 hours ago, pocster said:

@Thorfun penny pinching me thinks 🤣👍

100%!!

although, when i need around 20 of these things and the Collingwood ones are £60 each it really starts to add up. i could buy 50 from China and keep 30 as spares and still be quids in.

22 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

100%!!

although, when i need around 20 of these things and the Collingwood ones are £60 each it really starts to add up. i could buy 50 from China and keep 30 as spares and still be quids in.

I’m certain you can get some lights very similar for well under 60 quid in the U.K. . Think I used downlighters.co.U.K. Or something like that . About 11 quid each - great quality too 

Sadly ALL these LED's are manufactured in China. The only advantage of buying from a UK seller is that they've probably already vetted the various models they've imported to eliminate the truly awful stuff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Radian said:

Sadly ALL these LED's are manufactured in China. The only advantage of buying from a UK seller is that they've probably already vetted the various models they've imported to eliminate the truly awful stuff.

Precisely. My assumption is if bought here from a reputable seller then meets U.K. regs . Bought direct …. Who knows ! 

27 minutes ago, pocster said:

I’m certain you can get some lights very similar for well under 60 quid in the U.K. . Think I used downlighters.co.U.K. Or something like that . About 11 quid each - great quality too 

they're going in the ground so need to be walk-on-able (like your glazing) also i have a posi-joist in the wrong place so can only fit very narrow cutout spots. all of that means the availability in the UK is poor. found some Astro ones at £30 exc. (https://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/astro-terra-round-28-led-ground-light-brushed-stainless-steel.html) but only 1W, lower lumens and requires constant current drivers. also still 3x the price of buying direct!

once i've found a brand i like the look of i'll take it apart and show it to my sparky and see what he says. after all that testing it will still be much cheaper. plus it's low voltage so risk 'should' be lower i guess.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

they're going in the ground so need to be walk-on-able (like your glazing) also i have a posi-joist in the wrong place so can only fit very narrow cutout spots. all of that means the availability in the UK is poor. found some Astro ones at £30 exc. (https://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/astro-terra-round-28-led-ground-light-brushed-stainless-steel.html) but only 1W, lower lumens and requires constant current drivers. also still 3x the price of buying direct!

once i've found a brand i like the look of i'll take it apart and show it to my sparky and see what he says. after all that testing it will still be much cheaper. plus it's low voltage so risk 'should' be lower i guess.

Just stick a nice led rope light over it . 😎👍

• Haha 1