Cooker vent / duct for air tight house.

Hmmm they say it is "blower door tested" but don't publish the result of the test.

It works like so: "This simple yet effective airtight wall vent, is opened by the air pressure of the extractor system when turned on." 

I can't see how that doesn't open when doing the positive pressure blower door test. Most likely they expect it to be taped shut during house testing.

Also, In an airtight house, where does it draw additional incoming air from in order to expell? Putting the MVHR on boost may help that, but in which case may as well rely on the MVHR to do the extract too, per JohnMo below 👇

Edited by joth

Just fit a recirculation kit to a standard cooker extractor, job done.

Cooker hood used when frying only, but nearly always off.  We have the room extract about 4m away from the hob, with a filter sock in it, just put MVHR on boost and it takes care of everything.

• 1 month later...

This question s a major issue that doesnt seem to be really being looked at properly. In some countries, all rental properties legally most have an externally vented hood. I dont know what the solution is. 

It's not a major issue as a recirculating hood/hob does the job fine at removing particulates and odours. the MVHR will mop up any excess odours and moisture anyway.

I came from a house where I installed my own designed externally mounted 900m3hr system, to a house with recirculating hob and MVHR. The latter is superior.

1 hour ago, Conor said:

It's not a major issue as a recirculating hood/hob does the job fine at removing particulates and odours. the MVHR will mop up any excess odours and moisture anyway.

I came from a house where I installed my own designed externally mounted 900m3hr system, to a house with recirculating hob and MVHR. The latter is superior.

It can be where the state requires you to install an external hood. I am in this position now and I feel like I am butchering my house. 

BTW what are you kitchen extract flow rates? 13 l/s?

Edited by Seeoda