Deemed 50% export element of FiT going...

NSS

Am I the only one that was unaware (until yesterday) that the deemed 50% export element of FiT payments is to be replaced with payment for the actual amount exported if you have a Smart meter?

2 hours ago, NSS said:

Am I the only one that was unaware (until yesterday) that the deemed 50% export element of FiT payments is to be replaced with payment for the actual amount exported if you have a Smart meter?

I had an email from Good Energy (who still handle my FiT payments) yesterday mentioning such a change to how they paid out. I was a bit surprised by that, but assumed it was just them and not the system generally.

Will have to have a think about this. I wasn't planning on changing tariffs, but there may be a financially better way of arranging our power usage.

1 hour ago, jack said:

I had an email from Good Energy (who still handle my FiT payments) yesterday mentioning such a change to how they paid out. I was a bit surprised by that, but assumed it was just them and not the system generally.

Will have to have a think about this. I wasn't planning on changing tariffs, but there may be a financially better way of arranging our power usage.

Same email, but seems this is an OFGEM edict. 

31 minutes ago, Andehh said:

Hmm, not liking the sound of this. So avoid a smart meter or else take a hit? 

Depends how much you generate, and how much if it you consume/export I guess. We currently get paid circa 6p/kWh for around 1,700 units per annum (on about 3.4MWh annual generation). If that was halved (ie if we actually export only 25%) the loss would be about £50/year, so annoying but not life-changing.

1 hour ago, NSS said:

Depends how much you generate, and how much if it you consume/export I guess. We currently get paid circa 6p/kWh for around 1,700 units per annum (on about 3.4MWh annual generation). If that was halved (ie if we actually export only 25%) the loss would be about £50/year, so annoying but not life-changing.

Yeah, I need to run some numbers. I've been on a smart meter for over a year so hopefully between that and the generation tracking on the solar system I can figure out what's going on.

16 hours ago, NSS said:

Same email, but seems this is an OFGEM edict. 

Do you have a link to the OFGEM news??

We've got a 4kw MCS installed FIT system and a second 8kw non MCS system. No smart meter just now but would be interesting to know how they would deal with payments if we had a smart meter fitted and a mix of MCS and non MCS generation going through the meter to export.

A back door way to get paid for non MCS generated eleccy??

We're  in the same boat as Dillsue, 4kWp MCS system from 8years on deemed 50% export, and a new 3.5kWp system from last year non-MCS, which also has batteries connected to it, so we dont really export much at all. No email from Eon yet who our FiT is with, and we had a smart meter fitted last year so can easily if they had to work out exactly what we do actually export.

Still a bit unsure of this "change"! In the FAQs they link to OFGEM guidance dated August 2021

Section 7.73 says "Where it is not possible or practical to measure export by export meter readings, 
deeming is permitted". If youve got a second non MCS system then its not possible to work out where any exported eleccy has come from so you can probably stay on deemed payments. Equally if you add a small battery or wind turbine youll likely be able to stay on deemed, if you want to