flooring under kitchen units or not? cost saving + practicalities

johnhenstock83

the eternal question: to lay flooring (engineered wood) under kitchen cabinets or not?

we've started planning the new kitchen and we're looking at 6.5m worth of units + an island (2m long). what is the general consensus on whether flooring should or shouldn't be installed under units? it could save a bit of time/money, but are there any disadvantages?

The only scenario that I can see to justify flooring under units would be if you were to change your kitchen & layout in future, and keep the flooring.  I’m not sure that is realistically very likely to ever happen though TBH in practice.  Normally replacing a kitchen involves new flooring for design reasons of course.

I would however advocate taking the flooring under where you have appliances eg dishwasher or washing machine.  Makes it easier to get in and out, and if there is a leak it’s less likely to pool inside what would be otherwise a hidden trough.

So my default is to not floor under units unless there is a technical reason to do so as has already been indicated. 

I now always continue flooring under units.

Getting an appliance in or out is very tricky with a step, and there is increased risk of the worktop being low.

Also, a dishwasher' feet might not slide on a plain concrete surface.

The material could be changed to save cost.

Another option might be to surface only where an appliance will go.

What if I replace or reform the kitchen and expose some floor? Only you can answer the chances of that.

• Like 1

Def no step, as above it makes access to appliances a real pain. If laying a floating floor (laminate, solid or engineered) either lay the entire floor or lay it after the kitchen fit. If only the front support legs land on the floating floor it often causes the underlay to compress and ‘domes’ in the centre. Run a floating floor right up to the support legs (not forgetting expansion gap) and under any appliances

• Like 1