CDM Confusion

Sarah29

Have been reading all about CDM and how it fits what I'm planning on doing, hope someone can offer a thought on this for my self-build. The relevant facts are as follows:

- I am a domestic client building a self-build house for myself.

- I have an architect who has designed the project, hence he is the "Principal Designer" under CDM.

- What I plan on doing is using a main contractor to take the project out of the ground to a watertight stage and then I would pick up from there and manage the remainder of the project through a combination of work myself and bringing trades on as required (decorators, electricians, plumbers etc).

- In this scenario I believe I can initially designate the role of "Principal Contractor" to the main contractor for delivering a watertight project and therefore I would have no legal duties under CDM beyond these initial appointments of Principal Designer and Principal Contractor. 

- Then when he hands the site back to me as a watertight shell I would then become a project manager and employ individual trades at different times when required. At that stage I would then need to comply with all the matters outlined in Part 4 of CDM 2015 (Welfare, first aid box, etc.).

Am I sounding right on this? thanks, Sarah

• Like 1

Yeah, your summary is pretty much bang on. I'm in NI and the CDM15 is slightly different to the GB version in that it's clearer that the domestic client must assume the role of PC and also PD if needed. It's just a matter of a bit of paperwork, site welfare, book keeping and signage etc. Basically all the stuff you should be doing anyway.

• 1 month later...

Before I do a thread-hijack, based on my limited reading of a CDM book and the HSE guidelines, your summary sounds about right to me @Sarah29.

On 01/04/2023 at 08:13, Conor said:

It's just a matter of a bit of paperwork, site welfare, book keeping and signage etc. Basically all the stuff you should be doing anyway.

As I'm looking at potentially administering our build via a design-and-build contract with our own company, I'm looking at possibly taking on the Principal Designer and Contractor roles in the capacity as a company director (ie the client) rather than as a domestic client. I'm thinking that following the regulations doesn't seem that hard in itself, as the HSE book outlines what needs doing. The bit that's full of unknowns to me is all the trade-specific risks - that seems to be the kind of thing that you need experience for, as otherwise it's an exercise in trying to guess every possible way that a process one doesn't know about could go wrong.

@Conor would you agree with that understanding of things, or do you reckon I've got it wrong? The alternative for Principal Designer is to pay the architects a couple of grand to take on the role. I ask you, as most other folks on here are like "here be dragons" whenever CDM comes up.

@Drellingore I think you are correct, you'll be assuming all three roles. The principle designer is usually pretty clear on large projects where you have a dedicated design team, for a spec build it's always a bit murky as you've an architect, SE, and maybe designers under supply and fit subcontracts. I think it's your role to oversee all of these designer entities as the principle designer. 

I did what you are describing Sarah. The H & S by the main contractor was very dubious, I took far greater care than they did. They did the more dangerous stuff before watertight like scaffolding, roofing and steels etc. The only one who wore a hard hat was a nice contractor brickie, the rest would not hear of it, and that really stressed me out at times. 

When it was my responsibility I logged it with HSE and made sure I went way and above the 'real' builder. I also did a First Aid Course, was there practically all the time and tried to make sure there was never just one lone worker. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Drellingore said:

As I'm looking at potentially administering our build via a design-and-build contract with our own company, I'm looking at possibly taking on the Principal Designer and Contractor roles in the capacity as a company director (ie the client) rather than as a domestic client

What insurances does your company hold ..? Ours went up 400% when we looked at becoming Principal Designer so we canned it and leave that to the architects and will only subcontract to them and not to domestic clients.