Recommendations wanted for MVHR

Hi, got a quote from Paul, Zehnder ComfoAir Q350 with 90mm duct, but sound a bit steep, nearly £9k supply and commission or £13.5k with install. 

Does that sound what you would expect? Any other companies worth contacting? 

Ian

Hi Ian,

Me and my partner visited the Homebuilding & Renovating Show at the NEC last weekend and saw a few MVHR companies! We did come across Paul too, also we come across Mark heat recovery systems (Not sure if they are a sister company) VERY knowledgable! Might be worth getting a quote from them

Adam & Leah

On 29/03/2023 at 21:56, IanP said:

Zehnder ComfoAir Q350

Zehner have good units, but the price quoted for them varies considerably depending who you buy them from - and, in particular, in which country they are based.

We had a Q350 installed in 2021. The quotation originally made in 2019 was £5k design and supply, and £1.5k for the installation.

160m2 deep retrofit, 7 supply 6 extract rooms.

The price went up £550 by the time we had the work done, partly because of an error from the original sales engineer.

CVC Systems for me, every time. Brink Flair units plus the 'new' Air Comfort ( AHU for tempering ) work brilliantly and extremely quietly for my clients.

I'm not a fan of large bore series run ( branched ) systems, due to cross-talk and the sheer size of the ducting. VERY unaccommodating to get the rough the fabric of a build. The radial 92mm ductwork is a doddle by comparison, eg to get through joist voids / confined spaces etc.

• Like 1

On 29/03/2023 at 20:56, IanP said:

£13.5k with install. 

This sounds like a lot.

I have had a quote @ £7k All in but its for a branched system using Regavent and their own unit.  I wont be using these people though, because

A: If you see inside their unit it looks like total rubbish .

B: They appear to insist on a branched system. 

C  Having seen a partial install of theirs the ducting is held together with gaffer tape and untrimmed cable ties.

So, i used the £7k figure, and costed a Brink 400, 90mm ducting and all the fittings @ approximately £5k. Which leave me £2k to install it myself and get some help in to finalise and commission/ get it signed off properly.

Wish me luck

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We used a Beam C90 MVHR system supplied and all fully installed and commissioned for just over £5k, just before xmas. It covered a total floor area of 264sqm and used exposed galvanised steel ducting (as shown in the pic) because we wanted the industrial look plus it was all retrofit. They did an amazing job and worked till late each day getting the job done. It's really quiet and we get no condensation anymore and we also have no heating upstairs so any warmth generated downstairs is distributed throughout the house. Definitely recommend the system and company https://www.rbcentralsystems.co.uk/ who installed and commissioned it. 

IMG_20230412_082209.jpg

Edited by mattman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 31/03/2023 at 08:41, Nickfromwales said:

CVC Systems for me, every time. Brink Flair units plus the 'new' Air Comfort ( AHU for tempering ) work brilliantly and extremely quietly for my clients.

I'm not a fan of large bore series run ( branched ) systems, due to cross-talk and the sheer size of the ducting. VERY unaccommodating to get the rough the fabric of a build. The radial 92mm ductwork is a doddle by comparison, eg to get through joist voids / confined spaces etc.

Did you have any beams to go through? Where did you get the design? Are parts reasonable?

30 minutes ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Will Titon give us a design? Thinking of fitting it ourselves with an electrician friend.

No idea, worth a question - I just designed and installed myself. Pretty simple once you get your head around the requirements. I used 90mm semi flexible duct and a combination of normal terminals and Coanda effect supply terminals to keep duct length as short as possible.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had my MVHR system designed by Green Building Store, on the recommendation of my architect. The system was around £5-6k to purchase from them and then I paid Earthwise construction to install and commission it, which was about £4k. 

GBS use good quality components (well-silenced with rigid pipes) and usually either Paul or Ubbink units. I have the latter as Paul were difficult to get hold of at the time. 

I’m not living in the house yet so it’s difficult to make much comment about living with it. 

edit: GBS will design a system for you as well and you can decide whether to purchase from them or elsewhere. 

Edited by Brendan