Internal stud / partition wall sound insulation - such choice !

IanMcP

ok, my wall make up is 100mm stud at 400 centres. Each wall has 18mm OSB on one side , 12.5 plasterboard both sides (obvs!) 

I need to sound insulate the internal walls. From what I can gather 75mm would be optimum to leave an air gap and not stuff 100mm in as that will only help transmit any noise, or at least help.

There's so much guff on products to choose from - Rockwool RWA, Rockwool sound insulation, Knauf sound insulation, Isover, URSA acoustic roll

how much does density have to play in selection ? also, it seems my using 400 centres limits off the shelf choice and I will have to cut 600mm down

Real world feedback and examples please ? 

As mentioned in a previous thread, the simplest solution is to look at manufacturers technical literature - they have built and tested real-world examples for you to choose from.

Also, note that airborne sound and impact noise need separate consideration - most of the focus goes on the former.

And know that, because decibels are logarithmic, a cut of 10db = a halving of noise, 5db = a useful reduction, 3db = just about noticeable.

You will get far better soundproofing using MF studs with 25 mil acoustic insulation Timber sheets won’t help with soundproofing  600 centres are fine Saves cutting the rolls 

1 minute ago, nod said:

You will get far better soundproofing using MF studs with 25 mil acoustic insulation Timber sheets won’t help with soundproofing  600 centres are fine Saves cutting the rolls 

Walls already built. 

2 hours ago, IanMcP said:

12.5 plasterboard both sides (obvs!)

Two layers of acoustic PB is what is often recommended. resilient bars too if you want the best result.  Have a look at the British Gypsum "White Book" for real build-ups with dB ratings.  https://www.gyproc.ie/sites/default/files/Non-loadbearing timber stud.pdf

Edited by Dan F

8 hours ago, IanMcP said:

Walls already built. 

No problem If you have the room 

Resilient bar is cheap and quick and I would use 15 mil soundblock boards either side 

• 9 months later...

If the timber frame internal walls are 100mm is it best to leave an air gap and fill with rock wool at 75mmm or no air gap ? 

where we need extra sound insulation (for example against plant roof wall) we’ll be double plaster boarding one side. 

On 06/01/2024 at 09:27, PNAmble said:

If the timber frame internal walls are 100mm is it best to leave an air gap and fill with rock wool at 75mmm or no air gap ? 

Typically don't pack full. Our studs were 89mm and i think we used 50mm mineral wool.

On 06/01/2024 at 09:27, PNAmble said:

where we need extra sound insulation (for example against plant roof wall) we’ll be double plaster boarding one side. 

Consider using i) double soundbloc and ii) resilient bars (on one side at least) for best results.

Edited by Dan F
  • Like 1