Mounting a security camera

Hi All.

I have a bit of a problem.

I know that the best vantage point for the camera is where this small window is.
The problem is there is insulation all around and I think I cannot drill through that roof material above the window.
How can I go about it? Get a suitable mount and screw in to the window sill?

window.thumb.jpg.93910e36d706fb08b25d6ef0a8bc06c4.jpg

4 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Most modern cameras weigh nothing so the soffit will support one of them no problem

sounds great. This is what I wasn't sure 1st how is this "soffit" called and 2nd if I can drill through it in case of some water egress.

55 minutes ago, JohnBishop said:

This is what I wasn't sure 1st how is this "soffit" called and 2nd if I can drill through it in case of some water egress

If it's a decent 10mm soffit you can use self tapping screws so a very small hole, shallow, is needed just to start the screw and select the length so it does not come through. You need not worry as if there is water up there you have much bigger problems. 

• Thanks 1

Mine are all screwed into upvc soffit👍 May have gotten lucky and hit a timber with at least one screw. 

I had to drill something like a 30mm hole for the cables and balm connectors which is enough to feed a wooden packer through for your screws to fasten into.

Or, what about plasplug hollow fixings or caravan cavity fixings?

• Thanks 1

I'm making a stainless camera bracket for a mate at the moment. All cut, just got to weld it up. Goes on the corner of the house, sticks out far enough to see past the drain pipe:

IMG_20230307_165255418.thumb.jpg.f229096b610ea2f6b4962668bf902fca.jpg

M3 stainless rivnuts:

IMG_20230318_095109643.thumb.jpg.03ba7852e3c1631f80e61ba49ff0058e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I understand in this case the best would be a self tapping screw. In my case I need a screw that is no more than 4mm wide (the whole is 4mm) and the opening is 7.5mm wide but the screw does not have to be flush with the mounting plate.
If the soffit is 10mm thick then I reckon at least 10mm long screw.
The self-tapping screws I see at Screwfix are minimum 6ga.

camera.thumb.jpeg.44c2ec40df9bc06a828402951b4e51d4.jpeg