Best place to buy Heras fencing

Location East Lothian, Scotland.

We are using a demo contractor then a contractor for the external shell. There will be a couple of weeks gap between them.  Problem is our old house sits on the boundary line with the neighbours....so we don't want to put the fence up/down/up again or have it unfenced for any period of time.

I'm speaking to both contractors but would it be better to buy/rent our own fencing and where is best (google has a ton of options!)?

Many thanks

On 15/03/2023 at 11:44, Kelvin said:

It’s expensive new and delivered and cheap second hand and collected. In my case I’ve found some local to me via Facebook Marketplace and paid a local guy with a truck to deliver it. 

Found mine driving around by chance. Just before shutdown.  A renovator in the next village was taking some down, so pulled up and asked him.  £50 for farmer with trailer [and tractor !] to bring them to site.  

They're always on Facebook eBay, etc.    I would go with buying, if you don't know how long you need them, and can be assured they will be returned in the same condition.  Maybe worth ringing up the demo contractor to see if he / he knows anyone with some that they want to sell.   They will come in useful at various stages of the build. 

If searching on eBay / Facebook.  don't just search for "Heras Fencing"  :)

Harras Fencing 32 panels Feet and clamps | eBay

3 X Harris Fencing Panels In Good Condition | eBay

Used Hera Steel Wire Site & Farm Fencing Building Gardening chickens horse | eBay

• 1 month later...

My deal above fell through so have been hunting for more. It’s like hen’s teeth and the eBay sellers are hard work. Due to the length of it it’s not an easy fit on my trailer. Resolved to buy new which costs a fortune or take a chance on the dodgy eBay sellers and hiring a van to go and collect. However I tried GAP figuring they hire km of the stuff so must have seconds for sale. Sure enough they do so got 40 panels in good condition with feet and clips for £25 a panel inc VAT and only £30 to deliver it. Our panels will be up for a while and 40 can do our full roadside boundary as I’ve only got a few up just now. Worth trying if you’re struggling to get some. 

Never hire for construction unless for a few weeks and can ensure no damage.

Hire cost equals buy cost at 5 or 6 months, then they charge for damage.

First try to find second hand and pay max half price for 'as new'...which is unlikely. Transport will cost too.

There are repair splices for broken corners.

You would think hire companies would sell tired pajels off cheap, but i thknk they scrap them.

Next go online. Note the varying qualities in tube size and costruction.

The only time one of the hire companies was competitive for me was when we built next to their depot....another suplier's signs would have looked bad.

We used to buy by the lorryload and move them from site to site. Near enough given away when we had surplus. 

I spoke with a local building site and he said they often give it away but that site doesn’t finish until next year so no good.

They’ll be worth more than half what I paid by the time we’re done so hiring doesn’t make sense. 

What I noticed when looking on eBay and FB marketplace is there are very few places in Scotland that sell them second hand and loads in England, especially the mid to north. Contacted all of them and they just come across dodgy af. Had I lived closer I’d have dropped by to have a look but a few were cagey about the address. Stolen to order maybe! 

I figured there’s a business in Scotland buying and selling good second hand fencing for a reasonable delivery fee judging by hard it’s been to source it. 

Edited by Kelvin

The new ones all seem to come from the English Midlands. You are south of the despicable surcharge line at Drumochter.

I hate to think of the origins and conditions of the used ones you are quoting.

Prob not stolen as such, just bought cheap. Or backhanders to site managers.

I bought 70 odd panels for about £600. They were ex rental ones, so all had some damage. I was able to cherry pick the best ones though and most are usable. I've since been able to trim down how many I needed and have sold at least half of what I bought for more than I paid, I'm sure I'll easily get all my money back in the end.

I picked them up in 2 loads on my Renault Master Flatbed, which was a little questionable.