Concrete posts cleaning

JohnBishop

Hi All,

I hope you are doing well.

I have a front yard fence with short concrete posts.
Should I get someone so pressure wash it or should I wire brush it then paint it or sand the surface with flex grinder? Flex grinder cleaning is what I saw on the Internet.

Please advise

Thank you

Best regards

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

sodium hypochlorate

+1.

Spray or brush on a dilute solution. Be careful with your skin and eyes obviously. 

Doing it in slightly damp/misty weather seems to help it soak in I find. Quite often just a rince with a bucket and brush once the chemicals have worked will do the trick but a pressure washer will make it a simple job. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/03/2023 at 10:02, ToughButterCup said:

The end-in-mind is ?

Cleaning? Preserve rather than replace? Create a fungus garden? For each a different workflow .....

yes, preserve because I am not ready to replace it, perhaps this time I would replace with long posts

On 11/03/2023 at 12:32, Dave Jones said:

sodium hypochlorate

do you mean just bleach?

22 hours ago, Iceverge said:

+1.

Spray or brush on a dilute solution. Be careful with your skin and eyes obviously. 

Doing it in slightly damp/misty weather seems to help it soak in I find. Quite often just a rince with a bucket and brush once the chemicals have worked will do the trick but a pressure washer will make it a simple job. 

what proportions 50/50?

Should I look for a pressure washer or get someone to do it? Obviously I have to avoid crap pressure washers. I have no experience.

Edited by JohnBishop

1 hour ago, JohnBishop said:

what proportions 50/50?

Should I look for a pressure washer or get someone to do it? Obviously I have to avoid crap pressure washers. I have no experience.

It's been a while but I seem to remember much more dilute that that. Safer to start weak 90:10 maybe and up the dosage from there. 

If it's just green algee a brush and a garden hose will shift it. Otherwise a cheap karcher or similar will get the job done. 

• Thanks 1