What would you suggest the diameter should be for a communal wastewater pipe that takes water from around 12 flats?

stephanhg

Apologies if this is an obvious one. I've been searching all through internet, building standards, NBS and everywhere and couldn't find a conclusive answer.

I'm aware for an individual flat or house a main wastewater drain would be c. 110m diameter. Would you suggest 160mm diameter when multiple flats run into

it? (See the attachment)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Stephan

Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 11.37.54.png

BH is really for self builders and this is obviously a commercial venture, that aside you have look at intended use. You say flats, so are they aimed at professional couples who are likely to be out most of the day or is this a Hostel type building where occupants are usually ‘at home’ thereby increasing load factor on services?

Nobody can answer this other than the local water authority, and your intended building control person(s).

I know they'll say 160mm, but I can't tell you that, as what anyone says here is an educated opinion, but just that, an opinion.

Go ask the relevant bodies whom will reside over the correct / final specification of this project, as the installed systems will need to meet or exceed their standard to be signed off for your completion certificate. ;) 

There also appear to be adjoining habitable spaces? They will also need to be factored in from the LWA PoV for the groundworks and downstream connection / permissions. Storm water provision will also need addressing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, markc said:

BH is really for self builders and this is obviously a commercial venture, that aside you have look at intended use. You say flats, so are they aimed at professional couples who are likely to be out most of the day or is this a Hostel type building where occupants are usually ‘at home’ thereby increasing load factor on services?

Thank you Mark! Okay, my apologies - either way I do need pointing in the right direction, so if you do know of a better alternative forum for my sort of question, that would be greatly appreciated?

These are just flats, not a hostel. So the load factor won't be quite as frequent. What are your thoughts?

2 hours ago, stephanhg said:

These are just flats, not a hostel. So the load factor won't be quite as frequent. What are your thoughts?

To read the above replies, lol.

You won’t get answers that carry any weight on any forum, and if someone does answer you then you can’t use what they say anyways, so you’re just wasting your time, sorry.

Go ask your BCO or employ a drainage engineer. Simples. 
You will need to part with some money to get what you need, that’s not going to change.

• Like 2