So engineer, groundsman and digger all on site today for test holes

CalvinHobbes

They determined shallow foundations will be ok, soil good.

Because its a sloping site it turns out finished floor level will be 1.4 above ground at the front end. So we will need bison slabs for the front half.

We have quite a lots of bricks from the demo to lose. Yes some are being used for the entrance , we will get some broken stone to put on top so it isn't a mud bath. Groundsman suggested  we could put some under the front of the building. 

Question is. I am still concerned there could be the fungus from the dry rot in the brick (no wood)and it will work its way up over 10+ years. I would love to save money but is it too risky?

Edited by CalvinHobbes

As long as it's not organic material it's fine to bury under the slab. It's ventilated anyway so will be fine. 

Use it where ever you can, put some on the road in as a base or under the slab it's all saving you buying materials in to replace it. 

• Like 2

I haven't been following this so excuse errors.

Just in case you don't know, bison type slabs come with a big curve up to the middle. The longer they span, the higher the curve.  They don't tell you, and architects mostly don't know of allow for it.

Either the screed needs to be thinner there, and strength of slab reduces, or all the levels go up  as does the screed volume.

This doesn't apply with beam and block  which are straight.

Dry rot isn't dry * and depends on wet conditions. Spores are everywhere anyway. As long as your timber is dry, it won't rot.

* silly name. It isn't as wet as wet rot.

• Like 1