Hep20 fittings on non Hep pipe?

jayc89

I need to tee into the pipework already in our bathroom for the runs into the utility room below. The current ones are all done in a cheap 15mm plastic pipe, with, what looks like, Toolstation's cheapest, fittings. 

I want to run at least the new stuff in HEP using HEP fixings. Will new HEP fixings and sleeves work with generic 15mm plastic piping? 

Not officially recommended. 

However if you have a calipers and can verify that they are the correct diameter and the inserts fit then I would go right ahead.  

More professional advice will be along shortly....

35 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

I need to tee into the pipework already in our bathroom for the runs into the utility room below. The current ones are all done in a cheap 15mm plastic pipe, with, what looks like, Toolstation's cheapest, fittings. 

I want to run at least the new stuff in HEP using HEP fixings. Will new HEP fixings and sleeves work with generic 15mm plastic piping? 

The correct procedure is to use the existing manufacture fittings to convert to copper tails, and then push Hep2o onto the copper. The copper divorces the different manufacturers. 

• Thanks 2

The bathroom supply comes from 22mm that is reduced down to 15mm so I have the choice of teeing from the 22mm with a 15mm reducer, or just using a 15mm tee further down the run.

I assume teeing in at the 22mm pipe with a 15mm reducer would be the optimal solution, rather than teeing when it’s already been reduced to 15mm?

It really depends on the pipe manufacturer. For example, Pipelife ( a huge manufacturer of plastic pipe) technical department say that any fittings and inserts can be used with their pipe as long as they carry the correct British Standard BS7291. Technically, all plastic pipe needs to comply with BS7291 as that gives the pipe dimensions which also ensures they're consistent with the copper pipe standards and dimensions - BS EN1057. Of course manufacturer's are going to say you've got to stick with their fittings and pipe for compatibility, probably with warranty exclusions, but the truth of it is a bit more flexible given the standards.