Steel post structure dilemma

We have to install a front door with side light windows in an opening that has a cavity wall on one side and a steel galvanised post in the other (see photo)  Don't ask why! But the issue I have is both from an aesthetic and insulation point of view what can we do. Plan is to install Aluminium casement fixed side lights that will butt up to the post and then an Aluminium Composite door.

Can you do something with the post? Move it or at least encase it in insulation before fitting anything up to it. If not that post is going to sap heat and be a condensation nightmare

Thanks for your replies. Can't move post should have been mid cavity but screw up. Exactly my point is how best to insulate and clad/cover. When you look at new office/hotel builds etc they are all steel frames so must be a way to do it. Just wondered if anyone in the glazing window game could give pointers or help. Ta

5 minutes ago, Streetfield said:

Thanks for your replies. Can't move post should have been mid cavity but screw up. Exactly my point is how best to insulate and clad/cover. When you look at new office/hotel builds etc they are all steel frames so must be a way to do it. Just wondered if anyone in the glazing window game could give pointers or help. Ta

Commercial buildings are rarely build with insulation in mind, however where possible steel structures are kept inside of curtain glass walling with only the fixings bridging outside to in.

As you can’t move the post you will need to encase it in foam and then a decorative aluminium or composite outer.

Thanks Jilly, is this the thin gel like strip product that you can stick? Sure I have seen this before. So this sits as a break between your post and what? I guess the Aluminium window frame would be fine if we did this and screwed the frame to the post with the Aerogel between. Just need to sort aesthetic cladding then. 

• Like 1

So it looks like the post is inline with the outer skin of the building. So outside the thermal envelope.  So not a cold bridge. Just looks a bit odd.

So you need to infill, could you not just form a short return with brick block and cavity insulation, use a cavity closures on both sides insert window/door.

Hi JohnMo, thanks for taking the time to respond. Think this would work on the door side (large front opening) 

But the side is narrow as it stands so don't really want to make it any narrower. Thinking of using Aerogel strip. Windows being installed this week (not this part) so intend to run through in detail. Builder (shell build) decided to interpret engineers requirement for a steel post (don't know why we need it as it's a flat porch with warm roof. Thanks again.