BC require need two external extractor fans (in 1 bathroom ...)

AdamL

Hi All, BC have paid me a visit and told me I need to have two external extractor fans in my utility. (Section F)

Although, I do not understand why (nor agree with it). I will install the two fans as per the guidance. 

However! How can I power the two from the same light switch, ceiling rose / isolator switch?

I planned the first one as per the attached drawing. However can I simply add a second in the same format i.e. in parallel ... or would they need to be "in series" somehow.

c3db8acd064d0a6ff3787167d0d3e152.jpg

(Creditdiydoctor.org.uk)

Any guidance would be appreciated. 

A

Ask him WHY you need 2?

Is it because the extract rates for a utility room is higher than a bathroom, and he thinks your fan is not powerful enough?  So he has suggested 2 fans rather than change the one fan for a bigger one, often a 6" fan rather than 4" for a utility room.

If you do go for 2, fit them in parallel after the (waste of space) isolator switch.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Ask him WHY you need 2?

Is it because the extract rates for a utility room is higher than a bathroom, and he thinks your fan is not powerful enough?  So he has suggested 2 fans rather than change the one fan for a bigger one, often a 6" fan rather than 4" for a utility room.

If you do go for 2, fit them in parallel after the (waste of space) isolator switch.

I asked and there is a stud wall encapsulating the shower... They deemed this as "a second" room. 
At the point I had not installed ANY fans. Only I was to install ONE. This generated the conversation... "Well, you need two" 

Good point on the more powerful option ... I will ask next time (If not already insstalled)

image.png.da3e4f54475a2bd4b8dc71024695dac5.png

You have more issues there.  Is there a door in that stud wall separating the shower?  If so it is a separate room and needs a separate fan.

If there is not a door, then you could just put a glass screen like any other shower in the corner of the room, BUT your issue there is a room containing a shower, all sockets, e.g. for the WM and boiler etc need to be 3 metres from the shower and I don't think the room is big enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You could have a single inline fan with 2 ducts into it. I can't see it is worth the hassle though when a fan is £30.

What you show here looks sensible and will vent the shower which is important. 

Does a utility room need its own extract?  I have not checked the rules. There is no source of steam unless a tumble drier doesn't vent outside. A big enough fan in the shower area might suffice.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You have more issues there.  Is there a door in that stud wall separating the shower?  If so it is a separate room and needs a separate fan.

If there is not a door, then you could just put a glass screen like any other shower in the corner of the room, BUT your issue there is a room containing a shower, all sockets, e.g. for the WM and boiler etc need to be 3 metres from the shower and I don't think the room is big enough.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47cmhk5sctei16cjuyof

• Like 1

You may be able to have the isolator switches for the boiler and washing machine in the room on the left and outlets in the shower room.  You could even have a hole in the wall and socket in the other room if you don't want to take the plug off the washing machine.

• Thanks 1

Interesting:

On 28/02/2023 at 18:09, Mr Punter said:

You may be able to have the isolator switches for the boiler and washing machine in the room on the left and outlets in the shower room.  You could even have a hole in the wall and socket in the other room if you don't want to take the plug off the washing machine.

The boiler has an isolation face already & the washing machine will be "built in" to kitchen cabinets. So I can always change the front to an "isolation front plate"?

Would this pass regs?

(I don't need/plan to have any sockets in the "shower" part any longer)

1 hour ago, AdamL said:

Interesting:

The boiler has an isolation face already & the washing machine will be "built in" to kitchen cabinets. So I can always change the front to an "isolation front plate"?

Would this pass regs?

(I don't need/plan to have any sockets in the "shower" part any longer)

I understand that you can't have sockets within 3m of the edge a bath or shower (which rules them out for most bathrooms), but I think switches are OK if not within 600mm.  I am no expert on this though.

• Thanks 1