So 13 tonne digger coming next in 9 days

Have to ensure engineer is present to tell digger driver where to do the test holes so he can provide a foundation layout. Architect thinks they will be shallow foundations but I guess it depends where the hard ground is.Hoping it's a quick turnaround because the digger can't sit for long (3 days max). Also surveyor has to show up too while he is there to mark it out including levels. The sloping site is definitely more of a challenge. Still, pleased it's happening and I have confidence in them.

• Like 1

I’ve just used a 3 tone mini digger on our last two and dug a hole at each corner of the house Then taken the digger away A 13 tone digger is expensive to get there and take away till your ready to start your build 

• Like 1

I used a local farmer who popped up to the field with his tractor and a bowser of water for the percolation holes. He dug the holes where the engineer wanted them and I filled them all in again. £80. 

The challenge our sloping site presented was how to meet the fall conditions for the driveway. We then spent a while trying to optimise the house position to meet the planning condition and minimise the amount of cutting and filling to level the site. 

Edited by Kelvin

I agree, I thought an 8 tonne would have done it but thats what the guy has and we have the rubble from the 2 cottages to move as well, going to put it in the corner (where the garage was planned - we are just doing the 2 houses, red on the plan is where the cottages were) till the end when it might be needed plus the surveyor will be out as well as the engineer . The surveyor wants levels as near as poss so was hoping it would be done quicker with the bigger digger. Hoping to goodness we get away with the shallow foundations. The goundsman thinks the ground looks good so cross fingers.

layout snipe.png

P1 snipe.png

P2 snipe.png

p3 snipe.png

p4 snipe.png

Congrats, it's very exciting to get started.

Extend the cavity down at least 200mm/2 courses lower if you can. Should be zero cost. 

It'll fill up with mortar droppings/detritus and bridge the cavity otherwise. 

It looks like 150mm insulation. Can you bump it to 200mm PIR?