Choosing a SIPs company...

IanP

Finally got planning approval for a build in Argyll, now deliberating over what company to go with for the Sips.

I have a quote from SIPs Industries and thinking of getting from SIPS ECO and EcoSips (confusing names as they are all located so close to each other too).

Architects as pushing for me to use Caberhouse (links to Architect company...) but I'm sure any of the other 3 companies will come in at a better value.

Anyone got any thoughts on these companies? 

The quote i have from SIPs Industries seem high, £145k (incl erection) for a 232m2 build but guess prices have gone up a lot these days.

I was looking for a low U value of around 0.13 with 50/50 render board and wood cladding, but been reading a few of the postings tonight on the Mortgage lenders angle of then wanting a block outer skin.... now wondering if i should really consider this.

Hopefully don't need a mortgage but......

Keen to get moving on these decisions as don't want to delay the build any longer.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts.

14 minutes ago, IanP said:

Finally got planning approval for a build in Argyll

Congratulations. Now the fun begins.

15 minutes ago, IanP said:

now deliberating over what company to go with for the Sips.

Why SIPs, have you considered other build methods?

I can see the advantage of SIPs to volume builders, combining them with a masonry skin, but I feel there are better options for the self-builder.

17 minutes ago, IanP said:

Keen to get moving on these decisions as don't want to delay the build any longer.

I can understand that, but it's worth making sure you've considered all options for the big decisions.

• Like 1

I'm just getting started on a SIPS type build in Gravenhill, and the client there has installed a cement board as a wrap, prior to additional external insulation, battens, render board and render, which seems to have appeased both BCO ( and assume ) the mortgage providers too.

Try to avoid the block, and explore your options thoroughly ;) 

Look at installing additional sound-proofing measure below the roof, such as allowing a void for acoustic insulation and resilient bars for mounting the plasterboard. SIP's roofs are not the 'quietest' of things. Compare this to an MBC roof ( 400mm of blown in cellulose ) and you will realise what I'm on about.

6 minutes ago, IanR said:

I can see the advantage of SIPs to volume builders, combining them with a masonry skin, but I feel there are better options for the self-builder.

Thank you for saying this, as I think it's the last option that I would choose if building myself. I am pretty much now sold on either Nudura ICF or MBC TF PH offerings. Just fantastic results without really trying, and sound deadness to die for.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IanR said:

Why SIPs, have you considered other build methods?

Yes, but like the simplicity of Sips. Last build was a traditional tf 20 years ago and was a faff installing all the insulation and Kingspan. 

Hearing now that Sips Eco panels may be better value than sips industries but still waiting for their reply and not sure if should get a quote from Eco Sips homes too. 

(very confusing with the 2 companies having almost the same name) 

6 hours ago, IanP said:

Last build was a traditional tf 20 years ago and was a faff installing all the insulation and Kingspan. 

I don't personally believe Kingspan or any PIR/PUR insulation is a particularly good option with a TF either, especially with with a light-weight rain screen.

For a timber-frame construction I'd only consider either as a larsen truss (twin-stud) or an I-Joist structure filled up with an insulation that gives a better decrement delay than PIR/PUR/EPS, such as a blown cellulose fibre. They offer better performance at similar costs, and less potential downsides.

6 hours ago, IanP said:

Yes, but like the simplicity of Sips.

What are you perceiving as "simplicity" with regards to a SIPs structure? Is it being able to package up the build as a kit for a 3rd party to have responsibility to erect? The same is available for a twin-stud build, or for an I-Joist structure it can be built on site with traditional carpentry skills and no need for any cranes etc.

• Thanks 1

JML SIPs is another option based up North. 

I disregarded a SIP build for many of the reasons quoted above. Instead we are building a deep twin stud as described above. It’s not cheap though! However, if I was doing it again I’d have gone MBC passiv install.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IanP said:

Yes, but like the simplicity of Sips. Last build was a traditional tf 20 years ago and was a faff installing all the insulation and Kingspan. 

But still acoustically crap, and these days why not blow in cellulose insulation? One MBC PH TF I have on the go is north of 300m2 and the cellulose ( 300mm wall / 400mm roof ) took less than a week for one man. Wipes the floor with PIR for acoustic quality and decrement delay.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to use SIPS for my roof and have decided on Nudura XR35 for the walls (going to do this myself even though no previous experience of icf). Hopin to find a SIPS manufacturer who will do birch ply for the inner face of the SIPS to have as my finished ceilings upstairs (have done this before with UNILIN (no longer supply the UK).

1 hour ago, DrewG said:

I'm going to use SIPS for my roof and have decided on Nudura XR35 for the walls (going to do this myself even though no previous experience of icf). Hopin to find a SIPS manufacturer who will do birch ply for the inner face of the SIPS to have as my finished ceilings upstairs (have done this before with UNILIN (no longer supply the UK).

How are you going to run your services? E.g. MVHR ducts and electrics? We went for a panel roof (thermohouse) and battened down 50mm to make the void. You need even more for spot lights.

You might be doing well to find m/any that'll change their processes just for a one off roof ob with birch ply and would expect those that do to charge a premium for the hassle. Would presume you'd need a new assesment of build method etc too as their certification for warranties based on OSB. Likely easier just to get standard SIPS, batten out and sheet as you like.  

2 hours ago, Conor said:

How are you going to run your services? E.g. MVHR ducts and electrics? We went for a panel roof (thermohouse) and battened down 50mm to make the void. You need even more for spot lights.

The plan is not to have any services in the upstairs ceilings i.e. wall lights and there's no MVHR...just good old fashioned trickle vents on the windows (planning on Alitherm 300 with I think Planitherm glass due to the new Part L Regs).

23 minutes ago, eandg said:

You might be doing well to find m/any that'll change their processes just for a one off roof ob with birch ply and would expect those that do to charge a premium for the hassle. Would presume you'd need a new assesment of build method etc too as their certification for warranties based on OSB. Likely easier just to get standard SIPS, batten out and sheet as you like.  

You could be right and I may need to decid how I feel about OSB celing...keen on the industrial look so considering having exposed Universal Beams downstairs and use the bars on the Alitherm 300 windows for the Crital Style. Have attached a photo from my last house built in 2019 (Blockwork walls with SIPS roof).

family space_2575.JPG