ICF Pricing and ease of use questions

IATM

Hi,

Does anyone have any up to date ICF pricing at all per M2 and for what u value

I just want very approx figures to see if a build is viable for me with it or not.

Would love to hear other options - At the moment I am considering

Nudura

izodom

Jub

Easy of use and support is a huge factor .

Edited by IATM

• IATM changed the title to ICF Pricing and ease of use questions

When I priced it up last year. ICF + concrete (minus finish) was coming out at a similar cost to having a builder put up brick and block (minus insulation). 

I don't think there's much in it at all, which is why I'm leaning towards brick and block and letting someone else do the work instead!

Yes as far as I know the pricing would be similar to a brick and block but I do think for the size we are working on the ICF would be much quicker and you could get stuck in yourself to make it work.

Just looking for approx prices and for what U Values

Just looking at our figures so this pretty accurate - 

about 94m2 wall

Nudura - £12,500

Rebar - £2,000

Concrete + pump - £4200

I put up the Nudura + rebar with 1 days assistance/teaching from the supplier. Concrete poured by others 🙂

So, about £200/m2

• Thanks 1

I contacted a lot, and a lot didn't get back to me🤔.

In the end I've opted for PolySteel.

I prefer the metal webs holding it all together. Yes there is some more cold bridge, but less chance of bursts.

In addition they prepared the structural calcs and rebar schedule in the price.

The standard blocks are not efficient enough so you need either IWI  or EWI. 

@Iceverge did some thermal calcs and EWI wins.

My project is just shy of 90SqM 

With around 140sqm of blocks including 1 row underground.

Around 9k plus vat and delivery incl EWI to get 0.16U.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, IATM said:

so the Nudura blocks alone are £132 per m2? Seems a lot more than I thought it would be

Can I ask which range that was?

That can't be right as a X35 block with 6" core is around £81 and is around 1.1 m2. I'm looking to build a ICF House with 270 m2 floor area with Nudura my favoured option.

On 13/02/2023 at 19:16, IATM said:

Can I ask which range that was?

The one series with an 8" core.

FYI- I should have added this was for a retaining wall, so had to add a lot more rebar, and 8 instead of 6" core.

Don't  forget with Nudura, your insulation is done as part of the build so that is a cost saved 🙂 

Edited by BotusBuild

On 13/02/2023 at 18:33, IATM said:

Hi,

Does anyone have any up to date ICF pricing at all per M2 and for what u value

I just want very approx figures to see if a build is viable for me with it or not.

Would love to hear other options - At the moment I am considering

Nudura

izodom

Jub

Easy of use and support is a huge factor .

ICF hidden benefits?

Here's a thing.. sometimes rather than comparing each individual element try if you can to look at the design in the round. It's hard to do but just have a look at the house you want to build and trust your intuition.. never be afraid to ask questions at the early esign stage as you are doing.

Take a two story house with big open plan spaces on the ground floor and lots of glass... especially looking out to the back garden. When the wind blows it wants to push the house sideways.. we call this lateral stability.

If you build a brick / block house then you end up often on the rear elevation with lots of glass with not much length of masonry wall between the glazing panels. You have a series of piers that want to not "topple over" sideways in the plane of the wall.. part of the problem lies in that masonry can't take tension forces that well. When you push a masonry pier sideways you get compression at one side.. and often undesirable tension at the other which can "burst the ball" SE design wise unless you have a lot of load above.

If you start to push the amount of glass and fix some of that to the masonry piers you invite the problem where the masonry has to carry the wind pressure /suction loads from the glass.. it can go horribly wrong here as an SE and you then need say to say.. we wind posts etc... you go from hero to zero!

In summary masonry is good at carrying vertical loads but not so good when you need to rely on a small length of wall to resist the sideways wind force or suction / pressure loads from glazing. It can / does work well when you have a good length of masonry wall though.

Traditionally when faced with this problem we introduce a steel goal post which works to resist the sideways forces, take some of the vertical load and the pressure suction from the glass. We do this lots when folk knock the back out of an existing house. But there is a cost attached.. you need to fix the steel goal post to the rest of the structure and you need often to do some work to the underbuilding.. it gets messy and expensive.

Now ICF has hidden advantages that can potentially save loads of cash.

Imagine you have a wall with two large glass panels.. 5.0 - 6.0m of glass and 700 - 900 mm of wall each end,  700 -900 mm between the galss panels and say 500 - 700 mm over the top of the glazing.. this 500 - 700 mm could extend up into the second floor (you need to sequence the pour if you do this). The concrete core is just say 150mm thick. You do your ICF wall but around the openings you add a bit of extra reinforcement. Here what you do is to create a concrete portal frame (goal post) all hidden in the wall and in the concrete you are going to pour anyway..  the goal post all for a few extra rebars..

Another gem is that you can sometimes get the extra rebar that form the goal posts hidden in the concrete to resist the pressure / suction loads from the glass.

Hope this helps. If you fancy post some drawings and I'm sure we will all chip in with further thoughts.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, BotusBuild said:

The 8" standard block (96" long by 18" high = 768 sq in = 0495 sq m)

The 8" standard block was £63.40 (inc VAT), so per sq m it is approx £128 / sq m

I think I see the problem here...maths and converting imperial to metric. 96" is 2.438m x 18" is 0.457m = 1.114 m2 and not .495 m2 as suggested! £63.40 a block I'm guessing wasn't in last couple of months?

12 minutes ago, DrewG said:

I think I see the problem here...maths and converting imperial to metric. 96" is 2.438m x 18" is 0.457m = 1.114 m2 and not .495 m2 as suggested! £63.40 a block I'm guessing wasn't in last couple of months?

🙂 obviously I was having a bad day. Suffice to say the house is the right size 🙂 

The price per block was from Nov 2021. The prices went up in March 2022

• 11 months later...

Nudura XR35 will run you about £100 per block (Incl VAT) for 1.1 m2, others are slightly less expensive but do not have the accessories available that Nudura provides as well the increased block size reduces on site labour substantially - figure close to 20% savings

U value I believe is 0.16

Edited by ChrisJ