Window fitting checklist

Gill

We've just had the fitters in putting in our new windows.  They were happy to have me contact them if I see any issues but as a novice, I'm not really sure what I should be checking for.

While they were fitting I spotted a couple of the gaskets were short and those have been refitted.  Spotted a few more today in the cold light of day so those will be getting sorted.

The other area I was checking was the foaming.  This has been done in some windows from inside and out and in others just from oustide.   There's a couple where the foam hasn't made it into the gap properly in windows that have only been done from one side so those are added to the fix list.   I'd prefer if they'd foam both inside and out where accessible so will ask if that's possible.  

The last issue I've spotted is that some window frames have small caps over small holes in the frames (at least one is cracked as in the picture).  Others do not.  I'm not sure exactly what these caps are for - we specific no trickle vents but these don't look like trickle vents to me.  Any ideas?  I'm thinking that they should all be capped.

If anyone has a "window checklist" or any other suggestions of areas to inspect it would be appreciated.

Thanks

.PXL_20230210_144540937.thumb.jpg.28ccf3c5a3c88b72c5d32a1a389c0bd2.jpgPXL_20230210_141217472.thumb.jpg.564f03463db429166e2ab1ed8bec1bd4.jpg

We had to have a couple of the glazing units replaced as we could see marks between the panes of the triple glazing. One of them was 3m high. Apparently there are rules about the size and how easy it is the see the marks from a certain distance. Can't remember the rules exactly.

35 minutes ago, Gone West said:

We had to have a couple of the glazing units replaced as we could see marks between the panes of the triple glazing. One of them was 3m high. Apparently there are rules about the size and how easy it is the see the marks from a certain distance. Can't remember the rules exactly.

Thanks - guess i'll need to clean the glass and hope for some good light and give the glass a good inspection. 

2 hours ago, Jenki said:

The black caps are covers for the frame drains. Or they let the water out if it gets in.

So I should have those for every frame then. 

2 hours ago, Jenki said:

It also looks like the paint finish is damaged in that photo?

Hard to tell as the tape needs to stay till the windows have has mastic. Will check that though. 

2 hours ago, Jenki said:

The black caps are covers for the frame drains. Or they let the water out if it gets in.

It also looks like the paint finish is damaged in that photo?

Yup. Weep holes. The bottom of them is open to allow rainwater to escape from the frame where it gets in when it's raining. Paint scratched down to the primer above that cracked weep cap.

Screenshot(186).thumb.png.ec259fdb414d1cfb958e98015f9332fa.png

• Thanks 1

That’s just front drainage cap, easily replaced, easily lost. Nothing to be concerned with.

I’d be looking at the following.

1: Scuffs/marks on frames

2: Scratches on glass if not visible from 3m away (looking through and not at the glass) it’s not a complaint.

3: That the fixings look good/solid

4: Window / door operation is good

5: They are installed plumb/level & square

6: Correctly foamed/taped (i.e no visible light/tape flapping).

7: Handles working, applied straight and no scratches

8: With doors that the height is installed correctly taken into account the finished floor.

9: no damaged hinge covers / drainage slot covers whether visible or concealed

10: External cill is the correct depth, taken into account external finish/stone cill etc.

11: That all gaskets/seals are good, correct lengths and not twisted/damaged.

12: They were cleaned prior to installers leaving from excess residue.

Edited by craig
  • Thanks 1